• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Reset overheat alarm on Connext?

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Before launching into Lake Tahoe, all boats must go through an invasive species inspection and decontamination process. this process involves them running 140 degree water on a hose and for my boat partially filling the ballast tanks with this warm water. Just at the end of the process yesterday I got an engine overheat alarm on the connext and now can’t clear it.

I’ve tested both batteries and they were at about 13.2 volts This morning. While researching other posts, several have said unpluggign the batteries and allowing the system to completely drain of electricity will usually solve this problem. I’ve turned off the batteries and had them unplugged for an hour. When I restarted, the alarm was still there. We took the boat out almost 30 miles of driving yesterday and she ran fine but the light was still on and I had to silence the alarm every 5 minutes. Water is flowing great out of both one holes (even at an idle).

I left the the batteries unplugged overnight (about 16 hours) and when I started it up today there was still the alarm.

Anyone have any thoughts?

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
For our AL to clear it took 4 good/clean starts for it to clear, albeit we don't have Connext but it still may require a set number of good restarts in order for system to clear the alarm. Good luck

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For our AL to clear it took 4 good/clean starts for it to clear, albeit we don't have Connext but it still may require a set number of good restarts in order for system to clear the alarm. Good luck
Please report back @Matt Phillips if this works. @Julian says three times will do.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for the thoughts. By clean restarts do you mean completely unplugging the batteries and letting the system rest?

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'll try to get in another 2-3 clean restarts and runs (like new trips) over the weekend and see how that goes.

I did talk to the Service Dept at a local dealer and they said that sometimes those overheat alarms when running on the hose are not due to lack of water into the engine, but a factor of the boat being out of the water with the engine running too long and the driveline heating up (as they are normally cooled by the surrounding water when the boat is in the water). That was the first time I've heard that in 8 years of Yamaha ownership, but it makes total sense.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hi all...just an update. The boat sat for 5 days with no batteries connected last week. I connected them, started it up and the alarm went off again. I then silenced it and then noticed a few moments later that the dreaded Check Engine Light cleared and it ran fine all weekend. I believe I completed a total of 4 battery disconnects and let it sit before it cleared the alarm.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
FWIW - I have cleared Yamaha overheat alarm and code......because if you get an overheat alarm your Yamaha on board computer stores the code. If you go to sell and the buyer wants a code read as part of a survey an overheat code will show on the lap top screen or on a print-out. My overheat was done to my 2018 Yamaha SVHO FX Cruiser at the dealership as part of an oil change. We used the dealer technician's laptop with Yamaha software. We ran the Yamaha cable to a plug-in inside the front storage area. It took about five minutes of scrolling through the Yamaha screens to find and delete the code. I have been told this would be the same practice with 2019 and 2020 Yamaha PWCs and boats.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That's a Great Point...as I also noticed the code was in there later this weekend when I was poking around in the Sys Control area. That alone may be worth the $400 in a code reader I ordered last week as a "last resort" to try to reset it.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
@Matt Phillips .....awesome. having the code reader would be great! I am on pretty good terms with the Yamaha technician at the dealership so if I throw any codes I'm pretty sure he would let me use his laptop to delete them. The Yamaha overheat sensors can be annoying but very good as warnings. Better to have a sensitive warning that an oh $hit moment where your sensor goes off after the damage is done!

Last edited:

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
LoL on the OH $hit Moment...I was a sweating those for a bit last week!