• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Right surge brake not disengaging in reverse

watdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I searched the forum but did not see this problem, sorry if I missed it. I have a shore lander trailer with surge breaks. Yesterday I took the boat out and when I tried to back down the ramp I thought my breaks were not disengaging and I could not back it. After pulling forwards and trying to back a few times it released and I backed it in. Backing it down to trailer the boat I realized it was only the right brake sticking. Drive forward and reverse a few times and it let go. Can anyone tell me what I should be looking at?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
How old is the trailer? Do you put in, in salt or brackish water? I would look at that side's pads and rotors to start with, see if everything looks good and not stuck. The actuator that disables the brakes when the reverse light is on, verify that's working as well.

watdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The trailer is barely 2 years old and is used in saltwater. I bought it in March and I don't think the previous owners rinsed the brakes off at all. Just came in from jacking it up and it looks like the caliper is sticking. Thinking probably the piston boot leaked and now it's rusted. Can't find the correct allen wrench to get it off.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
The trailer is barely 2 years old and is used in saltwater. I bought it in March and I don't think the previous owners rinsed the brakes off at all. Just came in from jacking it up and it looks like the caliper is sticking. Thinking probably the piston boot leaked and now it's rusted. Can't find the correct allen wrench to get it off.
Dang, that sucks. Can you replace just the boot or will it be the full assembly. If the latter, hit it with a torch and a mallet until it unsticks itself.

watdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
All right this is crazy. The caliper is a total PITA to get off, but it's good to go. The pads separated from their steel backplates and the inside pad broke a piece off at the top. When you went forward it was fine but when you backed up it was wedging between the pad and rotor. Rust is the cause, post a picture of the old and new when I find some new pads.