• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rockville Amp Installation - Noob Questions

Mike P

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Hi guys,

I'm embarrassed to ask such noob questions but all of my searches have resulted in nothing. I have never installed an amp before but I'm comfortable with the process. However, I'm perplexed on some things.

This is for a 2020 Yamaha 195S. My head unit (mounted on the swim platform) is a Fusion MS-RA70NSX. This unit has a number of RCA outputs, some of which can be seen in this image.

From the Fusion manual, here are the outputs:
1584643518054.png

OK, so the amp I'm installing is a Rockville RXM8BTB. It's manual is located here.

I have 4 stock Wet Sounds speakers in the 195S which I'm keeping for now. I'll be adding a basic, non-powered Kicker subwoofer (in a box). So, should be straight forward I thought. There are 8 channels on the amp. The amp separates channels 1-4 into one group and 5-8 in the other group. I'd like to use channels 1-4 for the 4 stock speakers (one per channel). Looks like I can set those to "full". Then I would like to bridge the subwoofer to two channels in the 5-8 range and set that group to "LPF". The other two channels in that range will stay empty for now.

Here's my confusion. The RCA inputs on the amp are laid out like this:

1584644011372.png

Dumb question number 1: Do I run one set of RCA cables from Zone 1 (L&R) on the head unit to 'Ch 1&3' AND 'Ch 2&4' on the amp? I'm getting thrown off because I feel like if I run L from Zone 1 to 'Ch 1&3' then those 2 speakers will only play the left channel and the same goes for R to Ch 2&4.

Dumb question number 2: If my subwoofer is NOT powered and only has speaker terminals, does the above RCA run already cover the subwoofer and I ignore the mono RCA subwoofer outputs on the head unit? If I'm going to bridge, should I try and bridge between two channels on the same input? ie- 5&7 or 6&8?

Dumb question number 3: If I want to just use the factory speaker wires, do I simply cut them from the harness using this table:
1584644383915.png

and then continue them on to the outputs of the AMP?:
1584644423057.png

If so, since there are 4 speakers, it looks like they've already split them into 2 zones so I'd need to run another pair of RCAs from the head unit for Zone 2 which then confuses me a bit more on where those need to run into the RCA inputs on the amp.

Sorry for the stupid questions but those inputs really had me baffled. I really hope my explanation makes sense.

Thanks so much in advance. This site has proved to be a tremendous source of invaluable information and you guys are incredible with your contributions.

-Mike

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi Mike,

So I am running this same amp, with 8 speakers and an additional amp with 2 subs so my wiring is different, but what you need to purchase is a couple of spilt wire RCA Jacks.1584648838675.png1584648838675.png

Basically the two RCA jacks (Left & Right ) coming from the back of your head unit will plug into the two wire side of the Split wire RCA, which goes into a single wire jack , which will then be plugged into channel 1 & 3, Same for the Channels 2 & 4. Depending on which two channels you bridge for your sub you will want to plug the RCA into the Channel Set (5&6) or (7&8) you chose. So when your done one of the RCA terminals on you amp will be open.

Just type in "Spit Wire RCA Jack" and a picture will come up, just make sure you get the one that has the same male or female connections you need as there are several variations.

Relative to speaker wire being cut, yes, just use tape and label each one first, makes it easier to make sure you get the right positive and neg for each speaker hooked up.

I have heard there is pre-made connector that can plug into the stock harness, would ahve to do some research to find it. ? I cut mine.

Mike P

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Dude, splitters!! Thank you so much @Mike Clark! I don't know why I didn't think of that. I'm doing the entire install this weekend along with a 2nd battery, acr, charger, etc so I will report back how it went. Can't thank you enough.

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No problem, this one of the best forums I have ever been on. Can't count how many times somebody has helped me out, or found info about how to do something.

Keep us posted.

Mike P

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
No problem, this one of the best forums I have ever been on. Can't count how many times somebody has helped me out, or found info about how to do something.

Keep us posted.
It worked! Thanks again @Mike Clark . The 4 stock speakers sound great with the amp! Can’t get the subwoofer to work though. It’s passive. Ran an rca from zone 1 subwoofer mono pre-out on head unit to Ch 5&7 rca input on amp (tried one side of a stereo rca cable then later tried a mono rca subwoofer cable). Then I bridged speaker wire from positive channel 5 to negative channel 7 like in attached picture. That weird label on the zone 2 subwoofer pre out (see picture) confused me so I tried that preout as well.

I’ve tried all the settings and gains on channels 5-8 but nothing. It does sound like something is coming out but barely.

Attachments

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Check your amp manual, you might need to bridge across channels 5/6 or 7/8 sideways instead of vertical.
Also check your filters to make sure the channels are set to LPF to pass the low freq signals.
Your stock speakers should be set to HPF to cut the low freqs.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Did you go into the setting on the HU to turn up the SUB out?

Mike P

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Check your amp manual, you might need to bridge across channels 5/6 or 7/8 sideways instead of vertical.
Also check your filters to make sure the channels are set to LPF to pass the low freq signals.
Your stock speakers should be set to HPF to cut the low freqs.
Thanks. The "manual" is only 2 pages and really says nothing really. However, according to Rockville, you can bridge any 2 channels which is a bit surprising. I'm going to try your suggestion anyway later today. I did double check LPF too. Thanks!

Mike P

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Did you go into the setting on the HU to turn up the SUB out?
Yes, good advice. The HU already had both sub pre-outs set to mid level. I cranked them both up to ~75% just to test it out. Still nothing. I'm going to try a few other things today and will report back.

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Make sure the mode setting on the back of the amp is set to 8? If it is set to 4 - no sound from 5 thru 8

After look at the wiring diagram on your head unit, it "appears" that it shows the wiring running directly to the speaker.(Split for Pos / Neg) since you going thru an amp, So try running 1 RCA cable from one line of the output to input on amp of 5/7, if no go, then try the other line of same output into 5/7.

Good luck

JOAN ROJAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Dude, splitters!! Thank you so much @Mike Clark! I don't know why I didn't think of that. I'm doing the entire install this weekend along with a 2nd battery, acr, charger, etc so I will report back how it went. Can't thank you enough.
Can you please show pictures, I just did the same install today and couldn’t get sount on anything. Same amp, and 4 stock speakers and same radio lol . I only ran one rca cable dough. Can u pls show pics of the splitter ? Amazon shows 1000 different ones. I also bridged the sub to channels 7and 8 and no luck.

JOAN ROJAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Hi Mike,

So I am running this same amp, with 8 speakers and an additional amp with 2 subs so my wiring is different, but what you need to purchase is a couple of spilt wire RCA Jacks.View attachment 113895View attachment 113895

Basically the two RCA jacks (Left & Right ) coming from the back of your head unit will plug into the two wire side of the Split wire RCA, which goes into a single wire jack , which will then be plugged into channel 1 & 3, Same for the Channels 2 & 4. Depending on which two channels you bridge for your sub you will want to plug the RCA into the Channel Set (5&6) or (7&8) you chose. So when your done one of the RCA terminals on you amp will be open.

Just type in "Spit Wire RCA Jack" and a picture will come up, just make sure you get the one that has the same male or female connections you need as there are several variations.

Relative to speaker wire being cut, yes, just use tape and label each one first, makes it easier to make sure you get the right positive and neg for each speaker hooked up.

I have heard there is pre-made connector that can plug into the stock harness, would ahve to do some research to find it. ? I cut mine.
Hi mike, I’m actually doing the exact set up and having same issues as OP, but I’m a very visual person. By rca y spitter do u mean this:

FosPower Y Adapter (8 inch) 2 RCA (Male) to 1 RCA (Female) Stereo Audio Y Adapter Subwoofer Cable (24k Gold Plated) 2 Male to 1 Female Y Splitter Connectors Extension Cord Amazon.com: FosPower Y Adapter (8 inch) 2 RCA (Male) to 1 RCA (Female) Stereo Audio Y Adapter Subwoofer Cable (24k Gold Plated) 2 Male to 1 Female Y Splitter Connectors Extension Cord: Home Audio & Theater

So this would go plugged into the head unit rca Input for zone 1? Then coming from the amp I would plug in into input 1 and 3 and inout 2 and 4? But then I would need another rca cable for the bridges amp ? Very confused

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes,

That is a splitter cable, but check to make sure you if need male or female end for your stereo unit. You will need male ends for amp, check to see what you need for your stereo head unit make sure it is female as your picture on Amazon shows.

jw766

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have the same amp connected to 6 Infinity 6.5" speakers. Adding a subwoofer and want to bridge channels 7&8 to power it. If a pair of the Infinity speakers are connected to channels 5&6, what will the sub sound like if the amp is set to full pass? Any other suggestions?

JOAN ROJAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I have the same amp connected to 6 Infinity 6.5" speakers. Adding a subwoofer and want to bridge channels 7&8 to power it. If a pair of the Infinity speakers are connected to channels 5&6, what will the sub sound like if the amp is set to full pass? Any other suggestions?
u may need to bridge series instead of parallel. maybe bridge 5 and 7 for the sub and and use 6 and 8 for the infinity speaker or the other way around.

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not sure on the full pass setting for running sub and speakers from same amp. I have separate amp for my subs.