• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rookie Jet Boater

Hugo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any advise for a newbie jetboater? I just bought an 08 AR230HO.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
DO NOT suck up the rope.

Hugo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh I've heard horror stories already. I have a designated person to keep the rope up. I also have a sharp knife and scissors on board just in case.

jim1

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Congrats! The best advice I have is to get as much practice as possible in low traffic/safe areas. You’ll get the feel for it before you know it. Enjoy!

Hugo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks jim1. I had a 17ft Bayliner before this one. Let me tell ya.........night & day difference! Luckily I have these big Texas lakes that I can get plenty of practice on.

agannole93

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Try to get out to the lake with little traffic to practice docking and loading the boat. To me coming from an 18 ft bayliner it's not so much driving the boat at cruise that's different, it's the slow speed and delicate maneuvers that I'm struggling with on our new to us 09 232LS. We've had it out twice so far and both times I have loaded by pulling onto a trailer not under power because it's busy at the ramp and I just haven't had time to get out and practice yet.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ya, low speed practice, I struggled the first couple times out, it’s gotten significantly easier, if you have a top taking it down before docking/loading significantly helps until you get use to the boat or on windy days. It use to take me multiple attempts, frustration, and stress. After some quality time with the boat I usually can get it docked/trailered pretty easy.

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Don’t EVER try to calculate your fuel consumption. Congrats on the purchase!😎

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Any advise for a newbie jetboater? I just bought an 08 AR230HO.
:Welcome:
Since you have previous boating experience, the only things different are handling, docking, and the fact you have a vacuum under the boat (operate in 3 feet or more water depths to avoid sucking up debris). A little practice with how it moves, and you should be fine.

PS - unless you have detailed info on how the boat was maintained from the previous owner, I'd look at changing the oil and plugs right away so you know they're good and start your maintenance schedule from there.

Hugo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Appreciate the info 212s. Yeah that's the very first thing I did other than trailer it home. I changed all fluids and plugs. The previous owner said he had the boat professionally winterized last winter but I wasn't going to take any chance. Thanks again.