• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Running engine to flush water for Spring freezes

bobholthaus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I live in Missouri and I “un-winterized” my 2020 242SE last weekend on our first ride of the season. Tonight, it’s getting to 28°. The dealer told me I could run my engines for 6-8 seconds per engine while on my hoist to blow any water out, so that the cold temps wouldn’t hurt anything. Is this correct? Thanks.

Start your engine not on the hose. Rev it a couple of times then shut off. I usually Rev mine up to circa 3000 RPM's briefly to blow out the water. Quick Rev up and down. Then shut off.

Yup, we do the same in the shoulder seasons, start, rev once or twice, off she goes.

Ironic, we pulled our pair of GP1300R's out on Sunday and got a quick rip in before the snow hit again in the afternoon. I use the same procedure on all our Yamaha's as listed above and have great luck with Yamaha jets since 1997.

That being said, upon initial fire up of one of the GP's, it blew out a fair amount of water. And this was sitting in -30f for a number of weeks. So my point being, the engines will drain with this procedure, but it may not blow out the entire water box.

This is not an issue, as the water box has plenty of room for ice expansion. And honestly, at 28 degrees, ice will never form hard enough to cause damage either. So you are good to go with the advice given above.

Back