• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Running Sluggish

FirstBoatRock

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
New to boating, first boat, even newer to JetBoats. That said, I bought a Yamaha 2014 AR-192 supercharged boat from the original owner. I've had it for about 2 weeks and learned a lot already about not letting the tow rope getting sucked into the intake.

Anyway, boat has been running fine until the other day. I can run it for awhile, 20-30mph, no problem, about 20-30 min, then it starts to get sluggish. I mean really sluggish. I can go full throttle and it takes a LOT of slugging to get to 10mph. I don't get any warning lights, I check the intake and there is nothing there. I am getting cooling and water coming out. I am getting bilge just fine. I don't have any water in the engine compartment. We got the boat from them as they were bringing out of storage and ran into this during the testing of the boat, but put more gas in, and the thing ran fine.

I keep at least 3/4 of a tank in. I've run it to just below 1/2 in the last 2 weeks but put new gas in again recently. I can do no-wake mode just fine up to 2 clicks on the button.

Any suggestions? Also, side note, I can't get the plug out to see the impeller from the top, I have to always go in through the bottom, so any suggestions for getting that thing out would be great as well. pull and pull and pull, no such luck. I even put saw horses above and tide a roap between the saw horse and the handle, using a bar to try to twist it out distributing the pressure.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It sounds lie you have something wedged between the impeller and impeller tunnel.

Does not take very much, and you will loose all forward momentum.

Unfortunately, since you cannot get the plug out, you will have to pull boat out of the water.

Look up in the tunnel from under the boat with flashlight will probably be able see something in the leading edge of the prop, small wood chip, etc.

Will probably have to pull off back of nozzles to get anything unstuck.

I have a twin engine 240 and had a wood chip last weekend, only one side and still lost most of forward momentum.

I would pour a little oil in the top of the plug hole and let it sit for a day and soak into rubber seal and then see it you can pull it out?

It might be the tabs that are not dis engaging. Only other option is is remove screws from top plastic section of plug. Then you have access to tabs.

May have to buy whole new plug if something gets damaged or lost, so expensive option.

Just all ideas, never had the issue of a stuck plug. Others on here have and will probably have much better ideas.

FirstBoatRock

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got under the boat and looked in the tunnel, looked pretty clean. Local mechanic suggested replacing all the spark plugs, so did that. Follow up question to that... There seemed to be a lot of dampness/wet on the bottom of the plug and in the chamber. Didn't smell like gas, so not sure if thats normal or not. The boat runs and got us around the lake on no-wake mode just fine after changing, but thought it odd to have all that dampness.

Still would like some suggestions to get that plug out. When you say oil, you mean like spray WD40 or something around the edges or are you suggesting regular oil and just run it down the sides?

I thought I saw a post somewhere suggesting you unlock it and then go under the boat and use a board to tap it up. I'd like to hear from someone who had this problem if possible.

I'll be able to run the boat 20-30mph tomorrow to see if swapping out the plugs did anything for the sluggishness.

Thanks for the suggestion.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My first guess was going to be plugs too, especially since you had the problem coming out of storage. The fogging oil used for storage is notorious for fouling the plugs. I actually just had this happen on an outboard last year and the plugs were kind of wet like you said. I swapped the plugs and then it ran like a dream again.

Frints

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My plug was stuck as well, it would not come out no matter how hard I pulled up...so I did the opposite. I took a 2 foot wooden dowel & put it down on top of the plug and gave it a couple of hard wacks in different places with a hammer & the plug came right out.

Good luck

ScottS

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Kind of stating the obvious here, but as you are a new owner, I just want to make sure you are trying to twist the plug before removing. Maybe a 1/16th turn counterclockwise to remove.

Did replacing the spark plugs restore your power?

KevJul2019

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
once you get the plug out. Always take it out after every use. I just let mine sit on the back of the boat. Sometimes I will spray silicone lube all over it and the tube. Try to do that every 2 weeks or so. A new set of spark plugs and treat the gas with star bill, spelt that wrong.

also, did you change the oil?