• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Salt terminator mix/engine over heat

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone used the salt terminator mixer attachment when flushing engines? I started the starboard side engine then plugged in the adaptor to flush and after about 3 minutes the engine over heat light came on. I quickly disconnected the adaptor and shut off the engine. Are you supposed to run it with a higher rpm? So anyway, I moved on to the port engine without the salt terminator adaptor and had no problem flushing that motor. Once finished, I went back to the starboard side and flushed the motor with no problem, I did not have the mixer attachment on. Do you generally leave a jet boat in neutral when flushing or around 1500 rpm?

seadude

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The mixer restricts the flow so flushing when the engines are already hot can cause an overheat.
I flush at idle since more rpm doesn't effect flushing and only creates more heat.

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@seadude thanks for the response, I'm still kinda leary using that mixer. I did look through it and it is a very small hole compared to the flush adaptor I bought.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You flush at idle. No need to raise RPM. Make sure you have a high enough water pressure at your house or wherever you're connecting for water. Also make sure you have no kinks in the red flush line. I've never overheated or got an alarm while flushing and I always use the salt away adapter regardless if I'm using salt away or not since it has the convenient shut off valve. How strong is the stream out of your cooling pissers?

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't get a stream of water out of the pissers during my engine flush procedure. This is not uncommon. @CraigAR I have had overheat during flushout while using the mixer, my problem is/was low pressure from the hose. I like the suggestions to wait until the engine is cooler (not flushing right after boating) and at a lower RPM ... I had been idling higher per the manual ("fast idle").

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't get a stream of water out of the pissers during my engine flush procedure. This is not uncommon. @CraigAR I have had overheat during flushout while using the mixer, my problem is/was low pressure from the hose. I like the suggestions to wait until the engine is cooler (not flushing right after boating) and at a lower RPM ... I had been idling higher per the manual ("fast idle").
I did the same as the manual quoted also

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I do get a stream out of the "pissers" that comes and goes without the mixer attached. I am going to try a different style mixer next time we take her out. Last weekend was the first time the boat saw water and of couse the first time flushing her.