• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Salt water vs Fresh Water

boatandgolf

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
All, new to the forums, so take it easy on me.

Been looking for an AR platform boat. I'm in Maine, found a boat in New York. It's a 2013 Ar192 with low hours. It's been a saltwater boat, used at a marina on Long Island. I'm relatively new to boating, if I go look at this boat, are there certain things to look for in terms of a used saltwater boat? I'm going to be using this on a lake in Maine, it will be kept in the water on a slip all summer and indoor rack stored in winter.

The dealer mentioned some sun damage to the cushions, bad enough that the dealer replaced all 8. This seems like a red flag, like maybe the guy didn't use his mooring covers? Could that indicate other issues?

The boat is priced a few grand less than comparable boats on the market. Not sure if it's a opportunity for a good deal or a potential lemon.

Thanks for any advice, or any questions to ask the seller if I go take a look.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Salt water beats up boats badly. I wouldn't keep a jet boat in the water for the summer unless you but a new boat every 2 years.

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would not hesitate to buy a previously owned boat that was used in salt water. I have bought two Yamaha “salt water” boats that I bought used and have had very successful ownership experiences with both boats. The key in my opinion is a thorough marine survey or taking a very knowledgeable boat owner with you to do a complete inspection.

Salt water and air is corrosive, but an owner that properly maintains the boat can abate most of the effects. I can’t provide an opinion on whether the $2k delta is enough incentive vs. the alternatives you are considerin. But the extensive seating repairs is as you’ve noted indicative of not using the mooring cover. As the dealer indicated, the “sun” more than likely did this damage, not salt air/water.

Danielmailin

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Also consider the condition of the steering and throttle cable, these do not like saltwater and ocean they develop rust may need to be replaced. not a deal breaker but after boating in saltwater for the last 2.5 years with a Jet boat, is the only concern I have.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would not hesitate to buy a previously owned boat that was used in salt water. I have bought two Yamaha “salt water” boats that I bought used and have had very successful ownership experiences with both boats. The key in my opinion is a thorough marine survey or taking a very knowledgeable boat owner with you to do a complete inspection.

Salt water and air is corrosive, but an owner that properly maintains the boat can abate most of the effects. I can’t provide an opinion on whether the $2k delta is enough incentive vs. the alternatives you are considerin. But the extensive seating repairs is as you’ve noted indicative of not using the mooring cover. As the dealer indicated, the “sun” more than likely did this damage, not salt air/water.
If there po was too lazy to cover the boat, he was probably too lazy to flush it. I've seen boats in salt water with 1/2" thick exhaust manifolds with holes you can fit your thumb through. This was only 5 years old, but not a Yamaha.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If there po was too lazy to cover the boat, he was probably too lazy to flush it. I've seen boats in salt water with 1/2" thick exhaust manifolds with holes you can fit your thumb through. This was only 5 years old, but not a Yamaha.
This was my thought exactly. If you're not willing to do the basics to keep your investment clean, then you probably arent doing the necessary stuff to keep it running long term. Makes me believe his whole attitude is use it up and beat it down for two seasons and then dump it before anything costly happens.

boatandgolf

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks guys. I think I'm going to end up passing on this one, I got a new lead on another boat that has better indicators it was properly stored and maintained.

As a soon to be fresh-water boater, I will try to not be biased against salt water boat(er)s in the future.

At least as long as they do their preventative maintenance.

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks guys. I think I'm going to end up passing on this one, I got a new lead on another boat that has better indicators it was properly stored and maintained.

As a soon to be fresh-water boater, I will try to not be biased against salt water boat(er)s in the future.

At least as long as they do their preventative maintenance.
Salt water boater here. Just ask the next owner of a salt water boat you want to look at what his cleaning and maintenance routine is and then if you like what he had to say set up a time to go look at it. If everything looks good to you and you like the boat tell the owner you would like to have it surveyed. They should have no problem with this if they did their maintenance. When making a large purchase there should be no problem going back multiple times to look at the boat. Just let them know you are a serious buyer.

boatandgolf

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So I ended up passing on the salt boat when I found a better option on the classifieds here. Thanks to those who responded.