• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

San Antonio area Info

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@mgabsa @JetPowered
@N1AGH

I found out today that a move to the San Antonio area might be in the near future for me, specifically the NorthEast side.

Anyone know much about boating in the area? I see Canyon Lake looks decent sized on the map.
It's going to be very difficult to give up boating here in the gulf around Panama City:-(

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I went to high school there. @N1AGH is my dad and not on the forum much anymore since he sold his boat to @JetPowered . My folks lived near Randolph AFB and enjoyed it there, that is where we lived when I was there (20 yrs ago now) but they moved awhile back to Bulverde which is just North of town in the beginnings of the Hill Country. They really love it there on a 2-3 acre lot subdivision. It takes 20-25 minute to get into town, but it is nice being out away from stuff too. San Antonio has exploded in size, so consider traffic and where you will work when you are house hunting. My dad is a retired realtor and can probably give you some more tips. I can PM you his email if you need help or have some questions...

As for lakes, Canyon Lake is about 20-30 minutes from theta part of town. it is a nice lake with some deep spots and clean water, but does suffer in the droughts some. We could always find a useable ramp, but sometimes it was tough. Just up 281 past Canyon is Lake LBJ in Marble Falls, TX which is very nice too. It is controlled so does not fluctuate much at all with droughts. lots of nice houses there, but never seems super crowded. Those are the two main ones we used and that I know of in close proximity to NE SA.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks!
My wife (active duty AF) is the one driving this move, she got a job at AFPC at Randolph. Sucks for me since I just retired in December, and started a DOD contractor job that I really like in February.

I hope to find a place to rent out a little ways, would love to have 2-3 acres, or at least enough area to pArk the boat, camper and enclosed trailer at home. We probably won't be there more than 3-4 years so we aren't going to buy a house.

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
The only lakes I've explored so far are Canyon and Lake LBJ. LBJ is part of the Highland Lakes chain, starting with Buchanan, Inks, LBJ, Marble Falls, and Travis. Buchanan and Travis are super low due to drought and I don't think you can easily launch at either at this point, but don't quote me on that. Inks, and LBJ and called 'constant level' due in part to a power plant on LBJ but I think to hold water back for floods and for water rights down stream.

Canyon is great. It really is deep about 100+ feet near the dam. Problem is that there is no great places to beach.

Don't forget, the coast is only 3 hours away, so you have Rockport, Port Aransas and Corpus Christi available to you.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What they've all said about the area and lakes is true. I've never thought of those lakes being part of the San Antonio area though. We've boated on Buchanan once and LBJ dozens of times and we've camped around Inks many times. It's a beautiful area with very different scenery from Panama City. Maybe you could make it to one of our Texas gatherings that we usually have on Texoma every year.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll definitely go to Texoma ever now and then, my brother lives in Whitesboro, just a few miles from the lake.

I'll make the best of it, I always have anywhere I have moved to, I just REALLY enjoy being able to leave my house and have the boat in the water in 10-15 minutes, that's boat launched and truck parked and all...I've been spoiled living here for the last 1 1/2 years.