• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Satellite Radio

Ismael Breton

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey guys, I'm trying to find an inexpensive and reliable way to get satellite radio on my stock Clarion radio in my 2013 AR192. Anyone have any experience with this or can make any suggestions? I'd greatly appreciate it.

I buy whatever package comes with the apple app (for Sirius xm) and I stream that via Bluetooth device.

I believe that is an extra $3 per month, but I use the shit out of it from May through August.

Not really worth buying another puck for an antenna when you have a cell phone on board.

I buy whatever package comes with the apple app (for Sirius xm) and I stream that via Bluetooth device.

I believe that is an extra $3 per month, but I use the shit out of it from May through August.

Not really worth buying another puck for an antenna when you have a cell phone on board.
Makes sense, I guess my only concern is that I'll be limited to the reception that my cell gets, specially when we're traveling all over the place and then I have to use my cell data. I'm looking for maybe a receiver I can plug into the radio and just enable me to activate the service. I don't know anything about how to do this, that's why I'm looking for advice.

You can purchase a Sirius/xm puck antenna for about $150, assuming your stock radio wil accept that input. If it does, you will have the extra expense of another receiver from Sirius xm for an entire year just for your boat...

You can purchase a Sirius/xm puck antenna for about $150, assuming your stock radio wil accept that input. If it does, you will have the extra expense of another receiver from Sirius xm for an entire year just for your boat...
Gotcha, I'm going to research the antennae and see if it will fit my receiver. Thanks for the help!!!

Yea that seems like a good option. Good reviews on Amazon. To plug this one in you'd need a satellite radio READY receiver though eh?
I don't know if mine is or isn't. I'll have to check it out when I get back home!

I saw something recently where sirius was $25 for 6 months... wonder what the catch it...
The catch is the contract is for a year and after the first six months you,pay normal price of $12 or water per month.

Wow, they have dropped in price in the last three years since I looked into this...only $50 now.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/shake...CzPAdMSSBQ0WEwBlAa2fdJt9ytQYDv6w5AaAsaN8P8HAQ
Sweet!
I believe this may be what you're looking for @Ismael Breton. I have a friend who has one in his truck. He can also move it to his house using one subscription. http://www.amazon.com/SIRIUS-Stratu...=1456070037&sr=8-13&keywords=sirius+receivers

You can also buy them used for about $20.
wow, you're right! This is exactly what I need. Looks like you can just use the auxiliary port on any radio to add this transmitter. Not too costly either! Ordering now. Thanks @Gym!

Sirius radio on the boat for me is a must!

I also use the Sirius app on my phone. I usually don't have an issue with service where I boat, but when we're out of range it proves a good time to hook up the old iPod and listen to the hits of the 90's.

I love sat radio, but have always hated that I needed a subscription for every unit. I'm not going to pay $15 per month for my car, my wife's car, my house, my office... I will however pay the extra $4 per month to be able to hook my phone up to any device.

I also use the Sirius app on my phone. I usually don't have an issue with service where I boat, but when we're out of range it proves a good time to hook up the old iPod and listen to the hits of the 90's.

I love sat radio, but have always hated that I needed a subscription for every unit. I'm not going to pay $15 per month for my car, my wife's car, my house, my office... I will however pay the extra $4 per month to be able to hook my phone up to any device.
I think the one @Gym has the link to is a satellite receiver you can move to your different vehicles with only one subscription. Feels like more bang for the buck since you pay for the subscription for the full year. We take out boat everywhere so we hate having to rely on my Phone reception and have to rack up the data. By the time I'm done paying for the date overage I would have already spent the cost of versatile satellite radio. Obviously a personal preference thing but I definitely think it's worth it if you lake to tow to different lakes.

Just picked this up at Best Buy. It's the Stratus7 @Gym recommended. This is normally a $79.99 product, but they price matched Amazon Prime at $35.47 and a 15 day return policy. No risk there. I'll give it a shot and see how practical it is mounted in the boat or if it gets in the way. I see a lot of cords right now so I'll let you all know how it works.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    840.6 KB · Views: 40
Nice deal @Ismael Breton We'll be looking forward to your review. My friend moves his between his home & truck on one subscription.

I had sirius for one season and it was totally not worth it. Used to be commercial free but now it's not and with my tastes in music I kept needing to change channels and it was annoying. We've done pandora for the last couple of years.

I had sirius for one season and it was totally not worth it. Used to be commercial free but now it's not and with my tastes in music I kept needing to change channels and it was annoying. We've done pandora for the last couple of years.

+1 we also use Pandora and Spotify on the boat through the bluetooth. We have lots of data time available on our plans, so really don't get into paying for extra data because of the music on the boat. I think (not quantified at all) even if we did go into extra data and it costed us $$ on that end, it would be less than paying for a month of satellite radio.

Of course, we are lucky enough, that during the summer we can get day baseball with the Cubs on the local station through the boat radio.

All good thoughts guys. Keep 'em coming. Here is where I am right now. I chose this location to mount the receiver because it seemed the least intrusive in my AR192. Power cord and aux really don't take as much room in the box as I thought they may. Right now I am negotiating through the best place to mount the antenna. It is magnetized so in a car it'd be simple to find a good place for it. On a boat, I'm not so sure. Double sided tape? What do you guys think?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    871.8 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    736.7 KB · Views: 34
Back