• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab 165 on board Storage Ideas?

Fastjew

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I am not complaining about the storage on this boat as obviously I knew this would be an issue, but does anyone have some ideas on getting the most out of the storage space?

Already securing my fenders in the engine bay (one on the battery side and the other near the heat exchanger) using a strap attached to the cleat bolts. Looking to mount boat hook to the wood panel next to the battery. It's a little close to the exhaust, but this seems to run pretty cool. Trying to keep as much out of the main floor storage as possible to allow for everyone else's crap...

Next task is anchor storage...? The spot in the bow is borderline adequate and will require lots of padding due to how much this little thing will be bouncing around.

Thanks!

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Yeah, obviously it's a small boat. Maximizing storage is key. With that being said, I found I can store quite a bit in this little thing relative to the number of passengers.

So I have a vinyl coated anchor to prevent causing damage under the bow seat. I also bought some rubber mats at home depot, they have holes everywhere... cut to shape and inserted as a liner under that seat as well as in the ski locker. Pretty inexpensive and prevents damage with all the banging in choppier waters.

I keep under the bench seat and in the console as open for daily gear. I keep a dry bag in the console storage for things like clothes and dry towels. Careful, those two storage spots are NOT water tight. If a big wave comes over or you get rained on, your stuff can get wet, hence the dry bag.

In the engine area, starboard side (right), I keep my emergency kit, two emergency paddles, a dry bag with various tools (everything I need to do some basic repairs, etc.), a siphon hose, a high volume air pump and I'm able to stick two GIANT fenders there. One of which you can run inside the gunwale. There's a pretty big cavity there to insert something like this. Now typically, those two fenders are installed "permanently" at our cottage dock. But when I go somewhere else, I'll stick in that area.

The port side I cleaned up with the wiring. All of this I'm able to fit around the battery area without any issues. I keep a battery jumper pack, spare oil (2 quarts), a piece of rebar (in case I need to get something out of the impeller, rare, had to use it once only in three years and I was stupid about it), SUPER long needle nose pliers to help get stuff out of the impeller (again, never needed yet), spare fuses, plugs, waterproof flashlight, and probably another thing or two (forget).

In the bag behind the seats (engine area), I keep 5 adult life jackets + my kid's life jacket, microfibre towels, sponges.

Now I also have a "glove compartment" in my model (2015) in the console, there's where I keep my papers, wallet, sunglasses, knife, etc.

I also keep a set of "jet ski fenders" in the ski locker (small, perfect for going somewhere) which are clipped to suction cup mounts (you'll see, the cleats are not great for positioning fenders on the 165. I much prefer the suction cups, strong and again, perfect for parking the boat for a few hours at a marina, etc. They hold really well as long as the two surfaces are clean).

So all around, it's not too bad at all but you do have to be smart about it.

Fastjew

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Thanks, great info!! The newer boats biggest challenge is they redesigned the console where it no longer lifts up and only has a little 9x12 access hole. Hard to store anything in there.

Nawsh

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Yeah, obviously it's a small boat. Maximizing storage is key. With that being said, I found I can store quite a bit in this little thing relative to the number of passengers.

- Vinyl coated anchor to prevent causing damage
- I keep under the bench seat and in the console as open for daily gear. I keep a dry bag in the console storage for things...
- In the engine area, starboard side (right), I keep my emergency kit, two emergency paddles, a dry bag with various tools....Giant bumpers.
- The port side I cleaned up with the wiring / Fuses
- In the bag behind the seats (engine area), I keep 5 adult life jackets + my kid's life jacket, microfibre towels, sponges.
- Now I also have a "glove compartment" in my model (2015) in the console, there's where I keep my papers, wallet, sunglasses, knife, etc.
- I also keep a set of "jet ski fenders" in the ski locker (small, perfect for going somewhere)

So all around, it's not too bad at all but you do have to be smart about it.
Hi Luc,
Your post is appreciated. We just picked up a 2018 Scarab 165G and would love to see some pics of all of your storage, just to get some idea's on how we can best prepare our boat for our first trip on the water.
1 - Can you share pics of all of your strorage?
2 - How did you clean up all of your wiring? Did you have to extend any wires or was it just a matter of zip-tying loose wires?
3 - How are you securing the GIANT bumpers in the grunwale?
4 - How did you install a glove box? Pics?
5 - Do you have a list of all of the fuse types I should have as spares?
6 - Suggested dry bag sizes for the two spots you have them?

Thank you

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Hi.

1. Won't be able to provide pics for a little while. Boat is at the cottage. Hoping to get back there next weekend.
2. Mostly used Velcro ties. Nice because you don't have to cut ties to add new wires. But yes, got then out of the way by grouping them and running them along walls nicely.
3. So I usually carry two small bumpers while on the go. Hull Hgr boat fenders with the bend at the top. They store very easily in multiple spots around the boat. I also keep two much larger fenders inside the engine hatch, starboard (right). But those I usually only put there when trailering to a new location. I usually attach those to the cottage dock and leave them there along with ropes at the right lengths. When I return to dock, it's fast. No bumpers to put up and ropes are ready to go. Small bumpers in boat allow me to dock elsewhere.
4. Did not install a glove box. I just have one in the older models. It's a 2015 model. The console is completely different and has that built in.
5. I bought a variety pack. But you mostly need 5, 10 and 15 amp fuses. This is discontinued and from Canada, but that's what I keep: Qiorange 120 MIX Car Mini Standard Blade Fuse 5 7.5 10 15 20 25 30 Amp ATM APM, Fuses - Amazon Canada
6. I keep a backpack dry bag inside the console in front of the driver. Nice to have when we get to a town and walk around. I keep another smaller bag for tools, that I keep inside the engine hatch on the right side again. That area can store a lot of stuff.

In general, I keep rarely used supplies like spare stuff near the battery. I keep bigger items on the right engine hatch area. Console in front of driver keeps my spare clothes and such in a dry bag. I keep the bench seat empty except a few 6' tie ropes. Great for day stuff that people bring onboard. I sometimes bring a spare small tank of gas for emergencies and keep that in the ski locker. Careful of the fumes.... Must seal that rightly and use the blower properly before starting the engine if you do that. Anchor is in the anchor locker. I also keep a pike pole mounted to the side wall of the ski locker. Fire extinguisher is mounted under the bow anchor locker seat.

I'll try and find some pics later tonight. But otherwise, I can take more next weekend.

Fastjew

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
@Nawsh
3 - How are you securing the GIANT bumpers in the grunwale?
Here are some pics of what I came up with to store large bumpers. Couple of brackets attached to the cleat bolts and ran velcro straps through them. Also mounted a boat hook to the board on the port side. Another thing I found is that this small tool box fits like a glove on the starboard side just behind the heat exchanger. Still plenty of room in the gunwale for some 20 or 30 liter dry sacks.

Port Side Engine.jpgStarboard Engine 1.jpgStarboard Engine 2.jpg

Fastjew

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
In general, I keep rarely used supplies like spare stuff near the battery. I keep bigger items on the right engine hatch area. Console in front of driver keeps my spare clothes and such in a dry bag. I keep the bench seat empty except a few 6' tie ropes. Great for day stuff that people bring onboard. I sometimes bring a spare small tank of gas for emergencies and keep that in the ski locker. Careful of the fumes.... Must seal that rightly and use the blower properly before starting the engine if you do that. Anchor is in the anchor locker. I also keep a pike pole mounted to the side wall of the ski locker. Fire extinguisher is mounted under the bow anchor locker seat.

I'll try and find some pics later tonight. But otherwise, I can take more next weekend.
Any chance you can get pics of how you mounted the fire extinguishe? I like the idea of using that spot, but the amount rough water/wakes I have to go through in my local lakes makes me concerned it might come loose with the standard plastic bracket.

thanks!

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
You're in luck. I'm at the cottage now. See photo. I just added a Velcro tie to secure it further. Super easy to remove and holds it very strong.

Attachments