• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Scarab 165 questions

FunTech4Real

Reaction score
Boat Make
Axis
Year
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
I'm pretty set on buying a Scarab 165 but I have a few questions:

1. What is the minimum octane rating of the 300 HP engine? Is this is exact same 300 HP engine in seadoo jetskis? If so, it needs fuel that marinas around me don't carry so I wouldn't want this one :(
  2. What is the top speed of the 230 HP version? I'm assuming this one has a minimum octane rating of 89 or lower, which would be sufficient for me with the local marinas
  3. Its hard to find information about the bimini top. There appears to be two different versions, one for the wakeboard tower, and one if you don't have the wake tower. It looks like the version without the tower is a vastly superior bimini in terms of coverage area. Is this correct?
  4. Are the bimini tops (both versions) safe to use when riding at full speed (up to 57 MPH) ?

Go check the manuals for those engines. BRP GUIDES Click on Rotax > JPS > Letter code = year where AA=2014 and onward > Engine HP

You'll find the required type of fuel in there and lots more. Note this is for north america where octane is different from other parts of the world (number wise). From page 16, yes, you should put premium which is with an octane level of 91 (not 93 which will provide no extra benefit) for the 300HP. It can run on 87 but they do recommend you go back to premium as soon as possible. I own a Sea-Doo PWC as well and picked the 230 engine because it runs regularly on 87 octane. No benefiit of putting a hire octane level in those engines (contrary to popular belief).

Under https://www.scarabjetboats.com > Owners (top) > Product Info Guides > Year of boat, you'll find charts in there showing the maximum possible speeds. The 230 165 claims a max speed of 81 km/h (50m/h) vs the 300 at 90 km/h (56 m/h). This is based on perfect conditons, no current against you, nominal air temperature, weight load, distribution, etc. Also elevation which is a factor depending on where you live in the world.

From what I've seen, yes, the biminii without the tower covers way more.

Under https://www.scarabjetboats.com > Owners (top) > Owner's Manual > 2023 and below > Click on the Scarab Manual. In there you'll find all kinds of info on the boat itself. One of which is the bimini. From page 119 "Aft/Main bimini canvas deployment should only be utilized at or below moderate cruising speed (approximately 0-40 mph). Avoid full throttle operation of boat while having canvas deployed. Scarab recommends booting the canvas before running at or close to maximum speed. In so doing you will help to maintain the life of the canvas and hardware. Also, the wind should be taken into consideration when determining operating speed with canvas deployed. The boat speed plus (+) wind speed should not be exceed 40 mph."

Some people do run the biminis at top speeds, but you better makes sure it's VERY well secured and snug and expect it to wear down faster with abbrasion and tension all over.

Awesome, thanks for all the info! Looks like I need a 230 HP version ?

The owners manual from scarab is total shit because its generic for all their boats. There is no way that all the different bimini covers for all of scarab's boats have an identical top speed restriction.

Do you have any more information about people who have tried running 50+ MPH with either of the two different bimini tops that are available for the boat? I love shade and it would be great to have some while also riding 50 MPH. If the fabric is going to wear out faster, that is fine, but if the metal holding the fabric is going to break then that is a big problem.

Totally agree that the Scarab manual isn't great. lol But it is a generic manual to cover their butts. Point is for that is if it wears out fast because of speed, they'll tell you they warned you. lol

I can't speak from experience except what I've seen reported here and there. From what I've seen, if your structuure is properly snug and clipped with all the parts corrrectly attached, then the structure holds fine. Just more wind against the fabric which can wear out friction points. I think the tower version is less prone to this.

There have been reports of the bimini collapsing because someone didn't secure it properly. They obviously aren't designed for top seed as per the manual, so you do need to be extra careful that straps/poles/bolts are in good shape and snugged up at all times. Fabric needs to snug as well.

Considering I haven't seen many reports of biminis breaking due to speed, I assume it's not an issue if it's secured well. Or everyone goes slow.... hahahahaha yeah, no. Definitely not it.

Does your marina not sell premium gas? Up here in Canada, ALL marinas pretty much only sell premium. It's hard to find 87 octane gas.

there are 4 marinas around me and all of them sell 89 octane. I really want 300 HP though... looking into getting some big fuel caddys and filling them at the gas station and putting them on my dock. I read that if you mix 50% 93 octane with 50% 89 octane you will get 91 octane, so I only need to fill the boat up half way with 93 octane then I can use 89 octane for the other half from local marinas

Clever solution! Yeah, don't do the little "octane booster" bottles. They add VERY little octane. The numbers reported on them are fractions... so if it says "adds 3 points"... that's 0.3, not 3. Assuming you follow their quantities for your fuel tank size, it's a LOT of bottles to your 87 or 89 fuel to go up to 91.

I like your idea better. I have a little battery operated fuel pump since I pump from jerry cans all the time. No marina at the cottage. Not the fastest, but easy to do with an auto stop if you overfill so you don't spill any. Makes things simple.

Back