• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab 195 on the sideline again - cavitation from debris ingestion

Alex L

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Once again, my boat is on the sideline (Scarab 195 HO). After a terrible summer last year due to multiple delays with getting parts and Marine max being busy, I basically missed the entire summer and didn't get the boat back until September. Had it out a few times on the local lake before winterizing it.

Now, I had the boat out 3 times this year and it was running great. Over this weekend I set in on an unfamiliar area, thought I checked the depth enough but either the depth changed or something was sucked up that was floating.

Any how, I hear something get ingested and shut it down immediately. However the damage is done. The boat cavititates upon acceleration. The impeller appears to be bent on the one fin and also looks like the wear ring has some damage. It also appears that there is now a gap in the sealant that is on the front of the wear ring? Could this be causing the cavitation? Do you guys agree with that? Ive been doing some research today and ask for your expertise as I am going to attempt repairs myself.

I was going to purchase 159mm impeller and wear ring? I believe this is the correct size for the 195 HO. Wheres the best place to purchase from? Only place I found was http://www.impellers.com/scarab.html

Do you guys think that should do the trick? It doesn't appear theres any other damage that I can see.
Any specific tools needed for this project that are out of the ordinary? Im pretty mechanically inclined, but just don't want to jump into something that I can't finish, but seems like its not too difficult of a project.

As always your help is greatly appreciated as I look to avoid the dealer and get back out on the water ASAP. Hopefully everyone else had a better MDW than I did.

Attachments

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Alex L The issues you are having is due to both damages to your prop, and your wear ring. These things are very easy to repair. Its an issue that you would have no matter what jetboat/pwc you use.

Do yourself a favor, and join Greenhulk.net. They will give you 10% off parts for your boat. Look at the 159mm stainless steel wear ring, and look at a Solas impeller (159mm). Get one that is in its stock pitch, or for non modified boats. The solas is better than the oem prop as it has a better and larger surface area to push water out, and the stainless steel wear ring will help keep you from having cavitation issues, and will not get damaged by light sandy water intake.

There are some threads here on how to remove the pump. It may look intimidating, but it isn't. Once you do it, you can get it completed in less than 30 minutes.

Last edited:

Pirana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
^did the one on my Seadoo Challenger, l it was easy. Hope there are not a lot of changes on the new boats.

Alex L

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
@Alex L The issues you are having is due to both damages to your prop, and your wear ring. These things are very easy to repair. Its an issue that you would have no matter what jetboat/pwc you use.

Do yourself a favor, and join Greenhulk.net. They will give you 10% off parts for your boat. Look at the 53mm stainless steel wear ring, and look at a Solas impeller (53mm). Get one that is in its stock pitch, or for non modified boats. The solas is better than the oem prop as it has a better and larger surface area to push water out, and the stainless steel wear ring will help keep you from having cavitation issues, and will not get damaged by light sandy water intake.

There are some threads here on how to remove the pump. It may look intimidating, but it isn't. Once you do it, you can get it completed in less than 30 minutes.

@ScarabMike am I reading this right, a 53mm wear ring and 53mm impeller?? I thought they were 159mm? I also followed up you comments by looking on green hulk and couldn't find anything with 53mm.

Will I need a impeller removal tool? Can you use any type of black waterproof silicone?

Thanks for help and if you could clarify about the impeller size and wear ring I would appreciate it. I just don't want to get the wrong parts! lol

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Im sorry you are correct. I was multitasking at work. Ive corrected my post.

@ScarabMike am I reading this right, a 53mm wear ring and 53mm impeller?? I thought they were 159mm? I also followed up you comments by looking on green hulk and couldn't find anything with 53mm.

Will I need a impeller removal tool? Can you use any type of black waterproof silicone?

Thanks for help and if you could clarify about the impeller size and wear ring I would appreciate it. I just don't want to get the wrong parts! lol

Alex L

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Thanks for helping out @ScarabMike

Might stick with the plastic wear ring only since I would like to stay close to stock (for now) and I also bring the boat home to our local fresh water lake as well.

Assuming this plastic one would do the trick
http://www.impellers.com/shop.html#!/p/73492222

Also found this one as well
http://www.impellers.com/shop.html#!/159mm-Solas-Wear-Ring-solid-stainless-steel-08-690-SRX-HS-159-002/p/73492235

I'll get swapping out the stock components under my belt and then maybe in the future start to tinker with some upgraded components.

Would you suggest picking up a new seal or pump oil or anything like that? Jet pump and driveshaft were replaced last summer so everything is virtually new under there which is why I am so pissed that a jacked up the impeller.

Alex L

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Got my parts this week. Ready to pull the pump this weekend and replace the wear ring and impeller. I hope I don't run into any surprises.

Only question I have is what sealant to use? Anyone have any tips? Did some research and didn't really find a definitive answer. I'll need something that I can grab at a hardware store.

Attachments

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got my parts this week. Ready to pull the pump this weekend and replace the wear ring and impeller. I hope I don't run into any surprises.

Only question I have is what sealant to use? Anyone have any tips? Did some research and didn't really find a definitive answer. I'll need something that I can grab at a hardware store.
Darned - 4 blades!
Are all BRP OEM impellers 4-blade? Is this OEM or aftermarket? Never seen one with 4-blades for a Yamaha, all OEM, Skats, Solas - all 3-blade.
I like it!

--

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think Yamaha uses standard rtv silicone. I resealed a pump with it once but it failed within three weeks. The next time around I used 3m 4200 which is still holding many years later. I have heard life chalk is another good alternative. 3m 5200 is too strong / hard to remove.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The wear ring is on there with pressure. When you get the oem pump out, put it in the freezer for an hour. It will expand the metal and make it very easy to remove the old wear ring. Then install the new one, let it get back to room temp, and re install.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
An alternative to freeze the wear ring to remove it more easily is to take a sawzaw to it. Before I learned about the freezing thing I used to beat the new one in with a mallet and part of a 2"x4" to equalize the pressure.

jetboy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 Open ID
Boat Length
Will this work for my non-HO 195? Also I found this one ( http://www.impellers.com/shop.html#!/KIT-Solas-SRX-CD-14-19-Concord-Sea-Doo-Impeller-RXP-X-08-RXT-X-08-RXP-215-04-08/p/87267986 ) But it is the Solas SRX CD-14-19 instead of the SRX-CD-14/17R. It says it is compatible, but does anyone know the difference?

Thanks!

Quick edit: Just realize it appears to refer to pitch? That said, does anyone know the correct pitch for the 195 impeller?

Thanks again!

superboop

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Anyone have the OEM part number for the 159mm impeller? I have a 200hp Scarab 255 twin.