• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab 195 trailer bearing...repack needed?

ModyGP

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
In all my years towing trailers, I haven't seen this.

I parked my boat in the garage after my usual 90 mile round trip outing to the lake.
After unhitching and choking I noticed the drivers side trailer bearing dust cover was missing.
20 mins later, I came back into the garage, and grease had puked out of the end.
The other side, with the dust cover in place, is fine.

Question is, do I need a complete repack, or can I just plug in the grease gun, refill, and get a new dust cover?
Left pic is driver side, puked out. Right is passenger side.
20180702_082612.jpg 20180702_082636.jpg

Thanks,
-J

Pirana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
My opinion...the brakes are too tight...heating up the hub and making the grease puke out!

ModyGP

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I just realized, over a year later, I never replied to this.

TLDR; Surge breaks were getting applied due to the boat not being level or a bit higher when trailering. Replaced bearing buddy and repacked.
Keep a bit more air in the airbags when towing. I haven't had the issue since.

The Long Story:

I found a guy close to my house who does a lot of work with Travel Trailers and boat trailers. He stopped working on boats themselves because they are getting too involved.

I had to take it to him twice.

The first time he replaced the bearing buddy, repacked, and checked everything over. He couldn't find anything major causing the overheating.
No brake drag, cables fine, surge brakes functioning normal, and everything in alignment.

A couple of weeks later, I noticed it heating up again. Took it back, explained the symptoms.
Took him a few days to check it out. The bearing buddy was still fine, no replacement needed, no issues to be found.

When I picked it up and hooked it up. He noticed I was sagging a bit, it wasn't level. He asked if it was normal and to be honest I hadn't been
paying attention. He thinks because the nose of the trailer was pointing down, it was causing the tongue of the trailing to push in and out
more than normal while driving, which was causing the surge brakes to engage/disengage going over bumps.
The weight of the boat pushing in the tongue.

My guess is my airbags leak a bit over time and lost some air so I wasn't level anymore. Now I fill them and check while hooked up in my
level garage. I have an RV garage, fits truck and boat together.
I make sure the airbags are filled and the boat is a bit above level so the bouncing doesn't engage the brake while driving.

All good ever since.