• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Scarab 2016 165 HO check engine

StephanieBC

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Hi there new to jet boats & this forum and not technical AT ALL LOL, I purchased a used 2016 Scarab 165 and had it wintered in a heated garage all winter. Just put it in the water & filled with gas & it sort of was chugging when I started to drive it almost like there was air, when I accelerated it had a hard time, it was like it didn’t ’catch’ so I thought not knowing anything it if sat for 10 months maybe if I accelerated and it was air someplace I could blow it out going fast. But when I hit 40mph a script came across dash check engine & the the engine light came on. Unsure what to do. Not close to a dealership nor marina. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

So if you have a check engine light, that means you got an active code in the settings. While the engine is running, you can navigate the menus with the sitches to the settings and you should be able to see codes.. usually P something. Get that/them and report back.

"Air" as you describe it, usually that's a pump issue. Under the boat where teh water goes into the impeller. Is the boat in the water or on a trailer?

This may be a lot of back and forth, PM me on Facebook if you can. I also have whatsapp, messages, signal, etc. Just not iMessage. I presume you're in BC? If so I'm in Ontario, you can also text me. Check your PMs for contact info.

Hi Luc, I appreciate the response. I went through three mode to switch display and there was not a way to get any codes. I turned the boat on docked & went through all menu items RPM is at 1700 with the boat sitting in neutral, engine temp at 118 F it says and probably 23 C outside, fuel flow 0. Toes were the only measurements I could get on my dash. I am adding a photo of my controls. Appreciate any guidance you can provide. A bit frustrating as I just put it in the water & feeling like I should not take it out because of the engine light being on. Thanks again

Attachments

• IMG_9476.jpeg
    IMG_9476.jpeg
    371.8 KB · Views: 4
So the mode, adjust and set buttons are the three to use to navigate the menus. See the available menus attached. IF there is an active code, then while cycling through the settings menu, there will be a fault code as you can see from that attachment. If the fault code is no longer active, then it will be gone from the settings which could explain why you're not finding anyting. If so, the check engine light may stay on indefinitely until you plug into either through a Scarab dealer, BUDS home software or Candoo Pro home software. Those are the only ways to access past codes. In some cases, if the fault is gone, the check engine light may reset automatically after a certain number of engine cycles and run time combos. If it doesn't reset, then you can only reset it via those software options.

So are things behaving now but you have a check engine light only? I see you're on the water. Are you able to get the boat on a trailer to take CLEAR photos of the intake grate, pump/impeller from all angles from underneath the boat? Because some of the problems you describe sounds like pump cavitation (aka debris or an issue with the pump causing air bubbles which behaves as if the boat is running poorly).

Attachments

Had similar issue with my 165. In the end it was simply bad fuel. Once I replaced it with fresh fuel, problem gone. It took a couple of rides but engine light went out on its own. Good luck!

Back