• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab isuues

AirGreg

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
I read a lot here, but was going to give some of my experience. English is not my first language so bear with me.
I bought a 2015 scarab 165 G used. Lot of fun but got it for a good price, but also came with a lot of issues. I been taking care of them one after one. So here is a few and some easy some harder.
P0122 . TAS. I had a lot of issues with this in the beginning. Could not for my life figure out what was wrong. Even had a mechanic look at it without any success. Turns out that if you follow the electric harness from the boat to the back, right next to the battery there is a bundle that simply had one cable that got disconnected. A lot of fail search turned in to a 2 min fix.
The engine got overheated. There is a water pump in the bottom that has a valve that is suppose to open at 165f but to then circulate to the plate under the boat. Did not really happen. Instead it got over heated. I bought a new pump. That was a hard job haning upside down in to the engine since its in the bottom of the boat. But even me who is not that technical got it in and out over 8 hours. Saved me $1500. The part was about $160.
P0523 . Got a oil pressure warning and service light went off (not check engine). Turns out that there is a tiny little peg on the oil pressure sensor that broke off and $17 later on amazon I got a new one, swapped it and now its fine.
Fuel gauge always showed full tank. I even run out of gas on the inter coastal and had to be towed. Its was a fairly easy fix. I took off the middle seat, a few screws to the lid and you access the fuel tank. I unscrewed the lid, open it up and the float had been stuck vertical. Again when I finally got to it a 20 min job. Just one touch and it fell down and showing correct fuel level.
For some reason the previous owner manage to break all switches on the panel. Dont ask me how. But all of them was pushed in and sat under the console. I went online, found all of them for $10/each. Took a couple of hours to switch them out but now they all work and I got a good looking panel. The shop wanted $500 to switch them out, got it done for $60.
Just as I got the boat the reverse cable broke inside. The shop quoted me $700 for material and 4 hours work. Me, as an armature, changed it out in 2 hours and bought the part at RIVA for $98.
I had issues with the lights on the boat. The pole lights keep getting corroded and I switched twice the pole light base. Finally I installed a red/green light with white cover (to match boat) that sits there permanently and a wire up to a white light on my Bimini top (that I installed). Never had an issue again and you all know what a pain in the rear end it is to put those on unless you turn the engine off..
What I got left is a fairly big issue. I have a P0133 o2 sensor that eventually turned in to a P014c . Apparently the catalytic converter has a leak and going to try to see if its just the seals or a recall. Since warranty is out it will be expensive unless recall. Think its just the seals that cost $30 and then a days job on the boat. Since its an o2 sensor I get at some fluctuating RPM. But hopefully it will do the trick. I have put 50 hours on the boat since I bought it and after everything was fixed it starts every time. I installed a stereo, extra battery and enjoy it every weekend.
As I said, got it on a deal and can probably get $3-$5K more now than I paid for it. Took a lot of patience, reading and work to get to the point. Waxing, cleaning and flushing. But its a fun toy.
Hope this helps someone with similar problems.

Last edited:

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Wow! That's a lot. Thank you for sharing as I'm sure it will help someone. Your persistence has paid off. You're lucky you can figure a lot of this out on your own and fix it. Good luck and keep going!

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Impressive troubleshooting. I have the same model and year. I definitely have NOT experienced all of those except the fuel tank gauge getting stuck as well. Became a master of "fixing" this temporarily. After getting that float stuck over and over again (and also out of warranty), I ended up just bending the rod a bit. Seems to have fixed the problem but the gauge is a little inaccurate. Cheaper than buying a new one and I'm still not convinced buying a new one would have solved the design problem with that.

I haven't had any major issues with mine otherwise... bought it with 22h. Now has a little over 100h with two full seasons at about 40h each. It's been purring well. I've also done a lot to my 165. In case you haven't read the thread, here's what I've done to mine since I got it. In case it gives you more ideas: https://jetboaters.net/threads/scarab-165-mods.17479/

Good job! I'm French Canadian... but English isn't an issue for me ;) Your English is fine!

Jetwavz

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Hi everyone does anyone know a reliable parts supplier for scarab 165 2015. I need a vent valve , forward, reverse and steering cables. A kill switch assembly and dash switches. I live and operate a water sports company in Nassau bahamas. I have contacted riva Miami about half a dozen times with no response. Can anyone help.
Thanks

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Great DIY boater! Bet satisfying to do your own research, troubleshooting, and repair! And BTW... your English is fine!

ShlepRock

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 G
Boat Length
Hi everyone does anyone know a reliable parts supplier for scarab 165 2015. I need a vent valve , forward, reverse and steering cables. A kill switch assembly and dash switches. I live and operate a water sports company in Nassau bahamas. I have contacted riva Miami about half a dozen times with no response. Can anyone help.
Thanks
Call Paul at New Orleans Power Sports.. He is the best..