• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Seadoo challenger starter ez

Tina O

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
NA
I'm in desperate need of help. I bought a 1997 seadoo challenger in march as my Corona project. It's been nothing but a nightmare. The cosmetic part was easy but the insides are driving me crazy. Yesterdays dilema. I had to replace the rave valve because it broke off in the motor which sported out oil all over the hull. Replaced that took in the water for 5 days straight it worked perfectly. Then all of a sudden on day 6. It was not getting acceleration. I had to leave it in the water for the last 2 weeks because of rain(I'm sure barnacles have grown on the bottom, but that's another forum) so now it wont start. Was getting only one click. So, replaced battery-no go. Replaced the positive n negative wires, then read more forums and went down and bought a new solinoid. Now I'm getting no click it all. The blower and pump work so I know I'm getting power. The water came in the hull because it's been raining here for 3 weeks straight so now there it a little water and oil smoothing around the bottom of the boat. Is it possible that the water and oil got into the starter and fried it? I did the screw driver trick and touched the two screws together and it tried to start but too many sparks . Didnt want to blow up. So I'm at a loss besides pulling the plug and letting it sink. Looks great but I'm at my waist end.

Attachments

• 20200509_173657.jpg
    20200509_173657.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 14
  • 20200409_173807.jpg
    20200409_173807.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 14
Well, it looks pretty.... :)

I know you replaced the battery, but it sounds like a boat that is trying to start with less and less juice. When you replaced the battery, was it with a new one? Is it fully charged? Do you have a battery tester you can put on it (just picked up one of these on Amazon for $50 that tests everything...)? Is it a flooded battery or an AGM? If flooded: water at the right level? Has it been on a charger?

I guess it is possible that the water got up to the starter, but I don't think it would fry it. It would short out the battery (which is not good for the battery) and probably kill a fuse (we hope).

Oh, yeah, check the fuses, too...

Hey Tim. I took the battery back to O'reillys and they tested it and said it was at 100%. It was good. So today I ckecked the fuses and one of them (5amp) was blown. So now I get the 1 click again and a quick flash on the oil light but nothing. I'm so trying to stay posistive but it's getting hard. Now the throttle is sticking when I press it forward too. FUDGE!

jump the solenoid in the electrical box and see if the starter spins. If not bring power to it, or as close to it as you can with a jumper cable. If no spin, Starter could be fried. $50 from Rare Electrical or $250+ for a Nippondenso OEM.

If jumping the solenoid makes the starter spin, that's your problem, and you need a solenoid/relay.

You can also tap the starter with a hammer gently to troubleshoot the starter. If it spins after tapping is going bad and need to be replaced soon.

What he said.

But excellent that you have now ruled out the battery. Having the fuse replaced and the click is important (obviously), so you are making progress. Let us know the results of your solenoid jump.

Back