• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sealant around engine bay?

hapyfishrmn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm seeing a gap between the back of the engine bay in the middle. It looks like it may have been sealed at some point. I'm not sure if there should be a seal all the way across. Could anyone tell me if I should be doing some maintenance here or is this normal?

Attachments

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like the caulked it or something. Never really looked back there in mine (or never noticed).

That said, on mine there is an opening from there to the lower bilge right between the engines (I know you only have 1). So, I can't see that having a gap there would harm anything--I don't think that bay is supposed to be water tight anyway.

hapyfishrmn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wondered if it was expanding foam or something similar. The pieces to the left of the gap felt mostly firm yet a little soft/spongy. Found a small ball of the stuff floating next to the bilge pump. I don't get any water so it may have rolled into the hole around the pump.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That isn't sealed on mine. I think that foam stuff is remnants from the manufacturing process. I can take some pics tonight if you like.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The foam stuff is used to fill between the bottom hull and the top part. It is part of what makes the boat impossible to sink. You can fill the whole boat with water and it will never sink below the gunnels or so due to the buoyancy of the foam. Removing a little is not usually a problem, but it is not bad or harmful to find some every now and then.

If that is foam with just gaps in it, that is normal too. They leave channels in it so that water can flow back to the bilge from the entire boat.

So, all in all, I think you have no problem there.