• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Seat Cushions starting to rip, suggestions welcome.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My seat cushions started ripping last year at the beginning of the season. They haven't gotten much worse but eventually, it's going to look really bad. The picture I have here is a close up with one of the underseat plastic pieces to show the size of the rip. Any suggestions for fixing this, besides taking them to a vinyl repair shop? Anyone had to do this and what was the repair cost? TIA
20171022_153408[1].jpg

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Mine were doing the exact same thing. I figured I had nothing to lose and used Shoe-Goo to just keep it from getting worse. After repairing the seats took a typical beating and held up fine. I am very satisfied with the results. Please note that you guys that are fussy about appearance may not share my feelings as it is NOT an invisible fix.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Mine were doing the exact same thing. I figured I had nothing to lose and used Shoe-Goo to just keep it from getting worse. After repairing the seats took a typical beating and held up fine. I am very satisfied with the results. Please note that you guys that are fussy about appearance may not share my feelings as it is NOT an invisible fix.
Thanks for the tip. I am not one of those guys that think it needs to look perfect. For example, I used a red sharpy to cover up a few blemishes on my hull :)

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That doesn't look bad at all.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I don't recall what I did. I believe just removing them from the boat and placed in the sun relaxed the material enough that it closed up.

JetBoatPenguin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My seat cushions started ripping last year at the beginning of the season. They haven't gotten much worse but eventually, it's going to look really bad. The picture I have here is a close up with one of the underseat plastic pieces to show the size of the rip. Any suggestions for fixing this, besides taking them to a vinyl repair shop? Anyone had to do this and what was the repair cost? TIA
View attachment 65656
What did you end up doing for this in the end? I have a front cushion in my 2010 AR240 starting to behave in the same way.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I took one of mine to a upholstery shop and having the white replaced because of a rip in the middle of the seat for $150.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I found a place called Fibre New, I think they are nationwide, you send them a picture and they will give you a quote, the best thing is they come to your house.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
What did you end up doing for this in the end? I have a front cushion in my 2010 AR240 starting to behave in the same way.
Unfortunately my split was big enough where I don't think I could keep the seam together long enough for shoe glue to work. I haven't done anything with it and it has gotten a little worse. I sent Fibre New a photo so we'll see where that leads. There is a local guy that does vinyl repair but he is so busy I can never get a hold of him.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I also Used ShooGoo to repair mine also. It is available in a caulk tube and goes gown easier. Pulled the cushions, set it the sun
, build a clamping push together system, tie downs and boards, and glued all the seats along the seam which fails. pretty happy with the fix. do not smooth with your finger, the sun will smooth and level the shoegoo.

vxooxv

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
With the shoegoo, does it remain "goo". I'm worried that in 100-degree heat it will remain gooy. Is that not the case?

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@vxooxv It dries to a semi flexible texture. It will not remain gooey.