• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Seat cushons

Captbob

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone else had there rear seat cushions on the engine cover come apart at the seams? They are listed as seat cushion 3 & 4. My dealer just replaced them.

Attachments

• IMG_20140526_184343214.jpg
    IMG_20140526_184343214.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 45
I haven't had that happen to my seats. I do have a few blems, but that looks like it was pulled too tight when made, and is pulling apart after some weight is put on it.

I haven't had that happen to my seats. I do have a few blems, but that looks like it was pulled too tight when made, and is pulling apart after some weight is put on it.
The new cushions seem to have better seams. They feel stronger and look a little bigger.

Mine are doing the exact same thing, unfortunately I am out of warranty so I don't think there is much I can do about it short of paying to have them replaced.

Before you replace, take 'em to an upholstery shop. I had to replace 3/4 of my bow cushions the first year I had my boat (my fault) and a local guy was able to match mine perfectly including the dimpled silver vinyl, and it was cheap. Still looks great after five years.

If you buy you have buy them from Yamaha, I think the cost is $269 apiece.

Here are some before pics or the damage I did to my seat cushions, the front, one side, and the two back vertical cushions in the bow all had to be recovered:

PICT2031.JPG PICT2032.JPG PICT2033.JPG PICT2034.JPG

I was a little freaked out when I installed the newly recovered cushions:

PICT2075.JPG PICT2074.JPG

But a little time with the heat gun ( I am sure some time in the heat of the sun would have done the same thing):

PICT2084.JPG PICT2083.JPG

The all look great now. there are no wrinkles at all. I only wish I had recovered the side that was not damaged because it is off just a bit texture and color wise, but I have to point it out to be noticed.

PICT2080.JPG PICT2078.JPG PICT2079.JPG

An there was one other little mistake I found, but since it took me a few weeks to catch it I just let it go... I don't even notice it any more, the difference in the stitching in the corners of the backs:

PICT2077.JPG

What in the world happen to those cushions Ed? @cwoav8r

I haven't had any issues with my interior.....yet.

OUCH, That looks like an episode of "When Animals Attack". The new vinyl looks great though. Well done.

Wow! I remember when you were recovering your cushions but never saw any pics because that other site is still using 80's technology!
Looks like somebody brought Fido along for a boat ride? Or loaded firewood in the bow?

Mine are doing the exact same thing, unfortunately I am out of warranty so I don't think there is much I can do about it short of paying to have them replaced.

I had one of the rear seat cushions do exactly like the picture. I took it to a local upholstery shop for repair. All they had to do was remove cover, stretch material at the seem and resew. Looks like new and I am totally happy with it. $35 for one small front cushion and $50 for the rear seat cushion. I am still under warranty but never tried to see if they would repair it.

Mel, I never told this on myself (I did confess to @Murf'n'surf at the time)... Back in 2009, I made a bad newbie mistake. Even thought I have been boating all my life it was operating outboards and stern drives... When I first got the boat I over estimated my experience and underestimated the maneuverability of my jet boat and lost a fight with the Mangroves.

We were running about 20mph through some fairly narrow backwater... we had worked our way in about a mile, had lunch, and were on our way out. It opened up at one spot and I made a right instead of a left. I immediately realized it and steered hard to port while coming off the throttle. I had plenty of room, and if I had maintained throttle or even accelerated the boat would have come around nicely. If I had not made my second mistake I would have taken it down the side with some scuff marks.

When I realized that some type of impact was imminent I applied full reverse... With the steering still hard to port, it just brought the bow back hard starboard, dropped the nose and head into the mangroves. The impact was probably only 10 or 12mph... and thankfully the wife was in the back with me. Had she been up front she would have been hurt... and the tower probably spared me any injury as well.

I set myself up for it. Tide was going out faster that I thought and I felt the need to keep the boat up on plane so as not to ground the boat. I was in a place I had not been before and misjudged where we were. I did a lot of things wrong that I will never do again. Thankfully it only cost me $500 in repairs to the cushions, bow rail, and gel coat repairs.

Time to share it, so that others my avoid a similar situation. Don't overestimate your experience and skills, know the capabilities and limitations of your boat. Practice handling your boat at all speeds and see what it will do when you ask it to react to something unexpected and give yourself plenty of room when you do.

After that I went out and placed a throwable cushion in the water for a marker and learned stopping and turning distances at various speeds. Wish I had done it before the bad boat day that shall never be repeated again.

Thanks for getting that out of me @txav8r, I don't think I would have done it on another board...

:oops:

Oh yea... Weren't we supposed to be starting a confessional thread?

I had one of the rear seat cushions do exactly like the picture. I took it to a local upholstery shop for repair. All they had to do was remove cover, stretch material at the seem and resew. Looks like new and I am totally happy with it. $35 for one small front cushion and $50 for the rear seat cushion. I am still under warranty but never tried to see if they would repair it.
I may check that out at the end of the season, thanks for the suggestion, if it works for me too it would definitely be a lot less expensive and less hassle.

@cwoav8r , that had to have been one of those moments when reaction just didn't end up giving you what you expected. And with these boats, it isn't what you expect until it is second nature. In a split second, that could happen to any of us. I hope I didn't press you to share the story, but it will
Help others I am sure. That is why we train, right? To create muscle memory, so that reaction is instinctual. Thanks again for sharing the pics, the story, and the lessons learned. None of us can predict how we may react, so until then, we really don't know. They did do a great job on the vinyl! I don't know if you read back far enough, I am running finless, it could happen easy. I spent all my previous time with fins. That story makes me think twice about fins.

Last edited:
Tks @txav8r I did go back and read the entire wish me luck thread... I just forgot to congratulate you on your new boat!

Thanks! Great to have a boat again! Pluses and minuses to the new models.

@cwoav8r ... thanks for sharing. I've been boating awhile now, but not very long in my Yamaha. I still have a lot to learn and your post as made me realize that I don't know much about how my boat handles in certain conditions. I do get out by myself, at times, to try different things just to see what happens but I really need to do that more often. Like pulling up to someone's dock if docking on the side and not in a slip. Thanks again and remember we are all human...shit happens!!

Back