• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Shipping Cover

Rushfan67

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
Hello Everyone and Happy New Year!

I have a question in regards to my shipping cover. We just purchased a new house here in SC. The house is perfect for us in every way except for one major issue. Twin garage doors instead of 1-16ft door so the SX190 won’t go into the garage. I have always stored the boat in the garage and now it’s going to a storage facility. I don’t have the money right now to put out for the Yamaha cover due to the money that I just put out for the house.

My question is will the shipping cover be ok for a couple of months in the elements until I can get the Yamaha Cover? I looked at Sealskin Covers but a lot of not so good reviews on their shipping and customer service.

Please let me know if you have used your shipping cover while storing the boat outside or if you have any other recommendations.

Thank you!

Use the shipping cover and then cover the whole thing with a great big tarp held down with some bungee straps.
It may not be the prettiest, but it will offer you some added protection during the winter.

I think the shipping cover would do fine outside. The outer layer is pretty good. We used ours a lot when towing and have been caught in some heavy rains and it stayed dry inside the boat. Just keep some damprid in the compartments and be sure to use the anti pooling poles so water doesn’t pool up, I’d allow the storage compartments to vent and get some hanging damprid for the main cockpit and should be good m to go. If you keep an additional tarp on top just be sure it doesn’t block the vents in the shipping cover as you want it to allow air to circulate.

30 or so unsold boats sit outside all winter long at Highway Marine with just the shipping cover on them. When we tried to pay them to shrink wrap the boat, they said the shipping cover works just fine and to not waste our money. Shipping cover is already vented and padded. The slick exterior surface tends to shed the snow and ice.

Absolutely ! I have the Yamaha premium mooring cover and take it off for outside storage in the winter. I put the shipping cover on from December thru March so as to protect the premium cover from the winter elements. Never an issue and as others have said , hang 2-3 Damp Rid bags in the cockpit and don't block the vents with a tarp.

If I have to choose between the canvas or shipping cover for outdoor winter storage, I would choose the winter cover because it’s more water resistant.

However, I’ve gone through 3 or 4 shipping covers now and found that once the underside of the cover starts getting wet (often because the outer layer cracks and lets rain water in or the boat is wet when the cover is put on), it will start to develop mold that spreads quickly and can transfer to the tops of the seat cushions the cover is in contact with. You can avoid this or at least delay it by doing what others have stated above (i.e., use damp rid, make sure the boat is dry when put the cover on and don’t block the vents, putting a tarp over the shipping cover doesn’t hurt either).

Also once the exterior of the shipping cover starts to develop cracks, it is the single sign to me that it’s time to be replaced before the next rainy season, especially when there are too many cracks to seal with tape because the cracks let water saturate the the inner liner /underside of the shipping cover.

Finally, unless Yamaha has changed its policy, you cannot buy shipping covers from Yamaha so I keep an eye out for sales of them here and on Yamahajetboaters.com . Sometimes Great Lakes skipper on the eBay will sell them, usually for about $300 including the anti pooling kit. People with current boats are in good shape but finding a shipping cover for boats that are not made anymore can be very difficult (e.g. the 230s stopped being produced after 2009 which means that the newest shipping cover you can find for a 230 was made in 2009, the same can b said for the first generation 240s which are 6” shorter and have different tower mounting points than the current / 2nd generation of 240s).

@Patsfan67 , are you sure the 190 won’t fit into one of your garages? There are quite a few posts here with tips and tricks people have used to make it happen from deflating the tires, putting the trailer tongue on a caster wheel, pushing the boat in with a powered trailer dolly or a vehicle with a front mounted hitch).

Hello Everyone and Happy New Year!

I have a question in regards to my shipping cover. We just purchased a new house here in SC. The house is perfect for us in every way except for one major issue. Twin garage doors instead of 1-16ft door so the SX190 won’t go into the garage. I have always stored the boat in the garage and now it’s going to a storage facility. I don’t have the money right now to put out for the Yamaha cover due to the money that I just put out for the house.

My question is will the shipping cover be ok for a couple of months in the elements until I can get the Yamaha Cover? I looked at Sealskin Covers but a lot of not so good reviews on their shipping and customer service.

Please let me know if you have used your shipping cover while storing the boat outside or if you have any other recommendations.

Thank you!
Out of curiosity , how wide are your garage doors? I thought a 9' wide door was the minimum and I thought the 190's were only 8' wide so it should fit in most garage door openings.

I use a Walmart tarp 20' X30" for the winter. Done this with my last 3 boats.

Attachments

• NLCS 2009 003.jpg
    NLCS 2009 003.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 13
I had a 06 that i used the shipping cover on for about 5 years before it started to rip , then i covered the torn shipping cover with a tarp and it was fine , heres a pic of my 19 AR240 IN NJ where its much colder and going to get covered in snow ...you will be fine for years with the shipping coverD3C5597E-2FF7-4CCB-8893-2084832E7025.jpegD3C5597E-2FF7-4CCB-8893-2084832E7025.jpeg

Thank you everyone for all the great input. I think I am going to use the shipping cover for now through the end of summer and then see if I might be able to find a spot for her for next winter. Thank you again for all of your help. It is very much appreciated!

Out of curiosity , how wide are your garage doors? I thought a 9' wide door was the minimum and I thought the 190's were only 8' wide so it should fit in most garage door openings.

It’s the width that the issue... 8ft wide doors. Need 9ft to get it in the garage.

If anyone is looking to sell a shipping cover for a 24ft Yamaha - I'm all in to buy it (great for towing and easy to store)

Aloha @Patsfan67 Happy New Year, here’s my 2cents on shipping covers. My Yammy came to me from Mooresville, NC. towed across the US to Long Beach, CA. 2520 miles Then shipped across the Pacific Ocean another 2610 miles to Honolulu, Hawaii. Then off loaded and loaded onto the inter island barge for the last 110 miles to Lihue Kauai, Hawaii. So for a grand total of 5240 miles, in the months of December and January. So when she left NC in winter and cold, got to the Californian Sun sat at the port for 2 weeks, across the Pacific in rough Seas to Port of Honolulu sat there in the Hawaiian sun for a week. Then finally I received her after almost 2 months of travel, all with the shipping cover. Which I still have and covers my LS2000 now since my AR240 has a tent garage. Great cover wish I had another one, so if anybody is selling one for a newer 240/242 please let me know. Awesome covers..??

Back