• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Shorelander galvanized trailer poor wiring connectors that dissolve in salt water

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The tail light was out on my 2018 trailer so I was looking around and saw some connectors by the front of the trailer were the two frame sides meet to go to the tongue connection. They looked green and oxidized I tried to gently wiggle them apart they would not separate so I used a small pick tool to seperate them it worked on one side but the other fell apart In the picture the two pins just fell off . I searched around and could not find the same connector so I just made new connectors but did see that shorlander sells replacement lights with that connector. I grabbed the wires tucked into the frame, same rotted connector attached to the taillight you would think if they were supplying a galvanized trailer they would have one continuous run like the MFI trailers the lights on that thing lasted for 13 years. The front connectors get hit with a deluge of salt water thats sitting in the fame when the boat is pulled out of the water . These can be zip tied out of the way and some die electric grease applied for anyone that has a new boat . The rear connector just apply the grease it should last longer I hate when things are designed to fail

Zip tie this one up keep it high and dry

20200822_094401.jpg

Rear light connector disintegrated

20200822_101328.jpg

heat shrink crimp connectors used cut out the dissolved connector

20200822_103242.jpg

Thanks for posting this. I had ordered new Shorelander LED tail lights, thinking how straightforward it would be to simple unplug the old and plug in the new.

Fortunately for me, I had seen your post and when I Went to the storage yard, I also packed my wire cutters/strippers and some heatshrink wire connectors.

My plugs had signs of corrosion and upon trying to pull them apart, they destructed.
2C0AD45D-4D07-454F-A15B-B43F034B14FC.jpeg

You will have to rewire all your connectors, i had to do it on mine after someone flag me down because the back of my trailer was on fire. Once the corrosion starts in one connector, its in all the connectors. This design does not work with saltwater.

Im my trailer there where 2 in the back, one for each light, 2 on the front, at the Y, one in the folding tongue for the brake signal

I'm having the same issue with my 2016 shorlander trailer. My right rear light is out. Log story short my boat has been in and out the shop all summer. Haven't been on the water with it. First over heated, thermostat and tune up. Then the Steering was frozen, so purchased new steering cables and took it to the shop (fortunately not Yamaha dealership) got a good jetboat shop in my area here in Pensacola, Fl. Takes a while because they are so backed up. Get it home from that and Starboard Engine Communication problem. Engine would net accelerate and would should down after about 30 seconds. New ECM $$$$, but the boat is fixed. So my truck warned about light on right side out. Thought new big deal until I was making a right turn and almost got taken out by a car that ducked inside. Was goign boating tomorrow but don't want to chance getting taken out on the road.

Anyway I pulled the taillight. Connector pin broke. I agree about the connectors would rather rewire the light and heat shrink it. My question I have 4 wires coming to the connector that the tail light is wired to. Two of them are white. Do both white wires connect to the single white wire on the light? I think I see that in the picture. I ordered the Shorelander lights but from my research the last few days. Looks like these submersible taillights are nearly all the same. I would rather buy two of another brand and rewire rather than pay the cost of one Shorelander tail light.

My question I have 4 wires coming to the connector that the tail light is wired to. Two of them are white. Do both white wires connect to the single white wire on the light?

I do not recall. Only have that one picture from a few years back. Wish I had a better answer for you.

Thanks for your reply. I have pulled the tail light out. I was wrong it's actually 5 wires like yours that it connects too. From your picture I can see two browns went to the one brown on the light. The two whites went to the one white on the light. I ordered some different lights tonight.

Back