• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Shorelander Trailer Coupling - Replacement / Repair

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Trying to understand how to best remedy my situation - Late last season, my trailer coupling release slide broke off (see below). I though I could remedy this with some JB Weld.

DF570C2D-6D85-4370-88B5-4730C08F9F9B.jpeg
While, it held for a few uses and has since broken again.

Looking at trailer, I am not understanding how to replace the coupler, and welcome any links to videos/tutorials I was unsuccessful in locating.

Of the replacements I am finding on-line the generally look like the below, and have two thru bolts. I only see one thru “bolt” on the Shorelander, which is part of the brake actuator.

In summary, my questions are:
1) How to video/tutorial
2) If anyone has a link to a coupler that is known to work with the Shorelander trailers
3) Is the path of least resistance, towing the boat/trailer across town to a trailer repair facility

1F729822-BE4D-45D4-9393-B5956603E2C7.jpeg

5AF872AD-6454-4EBC-AC9B-B1FCBC5E70CD.jpeg
Looking up at the coupler, able to see the tension spring for the brakes.
C8BA953E-E125-4D1C-8F81-5A1F9604238B.jpeg

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Here is a 2 part video that may help you out.
I replaced my acuator last year. I had some difficulty with the two retaining pins, the ones with the circlips. They corroded on the inside and were a mother to beat out. Be prepared to bleed your brakes, you may have to disconnect the hyd line if they didnt give you enough slack. Have you considered drilling a hole and tapping it for a screw/bolt that would give you something to grab onto.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the video. Learned more about the workings of the trailer. Still not certain I follow how to replace the coupler/questioning if that’s even the correct part I grabbed from e trailer.

Yesterday before posting I applied more JB Weld. When that fails again, I will give your suggestion of tapping and inserting a bolt a try.

worse case, it looks like I can always slide the latch out of the way with a flat head screw driver, but hope it does not come to that.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have you considered drilling a hole and tapping it for a screw/bolt that would give you something to grab onto.
BINGO - for now this is the path of least resistance. Used a little thread locker to hold the bolt in place. 1/4” incase this helps anyone else.

03F616E3-A870-41AB-A999-7FD1B55B4C48.jpeg