• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Should I add a tower to the SX190?

Should I add a tower?

• DO IT NOW - Order the MTK and Install yourself

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • DO IT NOW - Find a dealer to do it, you don't want to mess up your boat

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Wait a year - Wait a little longer to see if you really want one

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • DO NOT - Life on a small boat is better without a tower, wait until the next boat

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Back when I was looking at boats, having a tower was a main requirement but I ended up buying a boat without one and have really enjoyed aspects of no tower. Was thinking I would wait another year or two before putting one on but with everything happening in the world I am finding a lot more time for weekend projects (also getting pressured by the water-sports enthusiasts in the family). Really like the overall design of the Monster MTK but have no idea if it would work with my boat with the mounting points being so different compared to the towers of that year. Not sure if installing the tower would even be something I should consider doing myself or leave it to a pro or wait another year and figure out if I really want it. Overall really split on the idea of a tower;

Pros of Tower:
-Elevated tow point for wakeboarding
-Board Storage, would move all the boards to racks and off the deck (190’s ski locker can’t store anything)
-Tower Speakers
-Built in Anchor Light
-Bimini is up and out of the way when not in use

Cons of Tower:
-Loss of open feel, (really like not having anything up at night/full view of the sky, makes the boat feel bigger)
-Smaller Bimini top
-Possible structural damage to boat
-Need to have all new covers made for both towing and storage (this one hurts)
-One more thing to clean/maintain in the saltwater

Concerns:
-Can my boat even handle the stress of the MTK tower? (2014’s had a different tower design)
-Is there a serious risk of damage?
-How difficult will it be to get new covers or have my covers modified?
-I don’t want spider cracks or overall issues 5 years later due to the tower.

Has anyone put a MTK tower on a 2012-2014 190? or has any advise with doing so. What other towers are out there that should be considered/would those with MTK’s do it again?

Any advise is always appreciated
Thanks!

You will need to add a backer board for the rear tower supports. Front tower supports should have it as the AR/SX hull are the same. Fiberglass is already beefed up from the factory.

As far as loss of night sky, you don't have to have your bimini top always open. Some days, we just leave it closed.

Install is easy. Just take your time and measure everything up. 2 people can do it but a 3rd hand is helpful. One thing I had an issue with is the bolts. They are shit IMO. I had 2 break when I had to back them out to make adjustments. I am sure they are strong enough to hold the tower, but they didn't like being backed out (and no, they weren't stripped).

I am happy and have had lots of compliments already. I had a factory tower that ripped apart which is why I changed to the MTK. It is ALOT more stable than the factory tower. It also sits a little lower than the factory tower by about 1.5-2" so it easily fits in 7' garage.

You will need to add a backer board for the rear tower supports. Front tower supports should have it as the AR/SX hull are the same. Fiberglass is already beefed up from the factory.

As far as loss of night sky, you don't have to have your bimini top always open. Some days, we just leave it closed.

Install is easy. Just take your time and measure everything up. 2 people can do it but a 3rd hand is helpful. One thing I had an issue with is the bolts. They are shit IMO. I had 2 break when I had to back them out to make adjustments. I am sure they are strong enough to hold the tower, but they didn't like being backed out (and no, they weren't stripped).

I am happy and have had lots of compliments already. I had a factory tower that ripped apart which is why I changed to the MTK. It is ALOT more stable than the factory tower. It also sits a little lower than the factory tower by about 1.5-2" so it easily fits in 7' garage.
Thanks for the info, went back and looked at your install pictures, did you have to mount to tower back on the boat to fit the factory mount of was that preference? I think I would want to get closer to the windshield if possible. Did you end up swapping out all the hardware or just what broke?

Do you happen to know how tall the tower sits off the deck when put up?

Yeah, I did it because of the factory holes. You can move it forward a bit more.

Tower is tall, very tall. I'm not tall, 5'8", but I can put my hands up and just get my hands around the tower.

Just swapped what broke. Like I said, they will hold. I think they snapped due to cheaper SS and heat (it was hot plus wrenching on them. I did not use a drill gun, but did use ratchet. Was about 95* when I installed it).

Back