• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Slide Anchor for 24' Boat

goose4010

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Has anyone used a slide anchor for the stern in water that is 2'-2.5' deep? Pro's? Cons? Trying to decide if I should upgrade from the traditional danforth style anchor....looking for an easier way to set it.

I built myself one in a weekend. It's Big, ugly and weighs a lot. It doesn't Move in the Lake Michigan waves and that's What i needed. I use it for the bow and i use an auger (dock auger attached to 4' pvc with a T on top so i can use another pvc to screw it in) with this setup i won't Move all day with tides waves or wakeboarders.

I built myself one in a weekend. It's Big, ugly and weighs a lot. It doesn't Move in the Lake Michigan waves and that's What i needed. I use it for the bow and i use an auger (dock auger attached to 4' pvc with a T on top so i can use another pvc to screw it in) with this setup i won't Move all day with tides waves or wakeboarders.
Thats interesting. I was trying to get sleek and be able to mount it the way Sotally Tober did by the clean out plugs....Like the idea of a securing it somewhere close and out of the way....how big is the one you have?

When the tide changes here and water starts lapping up on the slide anchor, it'll get loose in no time (in my experience). Perhaps in a relatively calm lake it wouldn't be an issue, but in 2-2.5' of water I'd prefer a proper anchor.

I use the slide anchor when beaching or coming close to beaching it on our normally shallow islands on the stern. I back up with bow anchor deployed and when I'm satisfied with the distance I deploy the slide anchor. The water is usually around 2ft or so. But, as @seanmclean mentioned, if you have a lot of up/down wave action, the slide anchor can come loose.
I copied @Sotally Tober and store it in the same place.

SandAnchor.jpg

Thats interesting. I was trying to get sleek and be able to mount it the way Sotally Tober did by the clean out plugs....Like the idea of a securing it somewhere close and out of the way....how big is the one you have?
Hey! I built the box anchor from the same company NOT the spike as the picture above has. Different thing, Sorry about that!

I use a slide anchor off the stern when backing up to the beach. I like to get the anchor in 1ft or less of water. As mentioned above, if you're in 2+ feet of water it's more likely a slide anchor will get itself worked out of the sand over time. I also carry a mushroom anchor for the stern and I use that if I'm not all the way backed up to the beach and the anchor is going to be in 2 to 4ft+ of water.

I use the slide anchor when beaching or coming close to beaching it on our normally shallow islands on the stern. I back up with bow anchor deployed and when I'm satisfied with the distance I deploy the slide anchor. The water is usually around 2ft or so. But, as @seanmclean mentioned, if you have a lot of up/down wave action, the slide anchor can come loose.
I copied @Sotally Tober and store it in the same place.

View attachment 179039
Hey, where did you get the brackets that hold this??

The small (19lbs) box anchor worked fine on my 06' SX230 but not so good on my 15' 242LS. We had a pretty windy day right after we bought it and the higher freeboard on the 242 caused it to move around in about 3.5' of water. Bought the large (25lbs) box anchor and it has been really good so far. If we run into really windy days I'll use the large off of the bow and the small off of the stern which has worked great.

I've attached a 4' bungee rope to my slide anchor rope and haven't had an issue. But have only experienced swells from passing boats

I bought the larger size and it won't fit there. That's what I get for being overkill. It's a PIA to store on the boat. Came with a case at least.
Yeah, I only anchor up at true beaches so the slide anchor is always up out of the water and the small has worked fine in that situation for me. Sounds like those of you anchoring it in water aren’t so lucky.

I prefer a 36" screw anchor for shallow water or the beach. I put a 45* bend in it so I don't have to use a pole or anything other than my hand to screw it into the sand. Also, use a bungee line stretched about 3/4 of its total length with the anchor rope and that will help keep from dislodging any anchor.

1654885357957.png

Yeah, I only anchor up at true beaches so the slide anchor is always up out of the water and the small has worked fine in that situation for me. Sounds like those of you anchoring it in water aren’t so lucky.
The deepest I’ve had it is maybe 18”. But I primarily keep it on the beach. It does come loose pretty easy depending on the soil. Being on the beach is definitely more stable.

Back