• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Solar Battery Charger Install w/Pics

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hi all,

I'm a new member to Jetboaters.net but thought I'd share one solution I've devised for keeping my house battery charged while the boat is stored in the skip at the lake. Here's the general problem this solves: As you know, our "automatic" bilge pumps cycle every few minutes looking for water in the bilge and can quickly drain a battery. At my slip, I do not have the option for constant electric use, so I've developed the following system over the past couple of seasons.

1.) I wired a direct switch to the stock bilge pump from my house battery. I bought the supplies from a local Radio Shack (total cost about $15), tapped into the hot side of the bilge pump switch at the top of the transom. In the picture below, the brown wire comes up from the bilge pump and the red one I ran over to the house battery:
IMG_0439.jpg

2.) At the battery switch, I added a secondary bilge pump switch where I can turn the pump on independently from the dash. The benefit of this is that even if someone turns off the switch at the dash, the bilge pump is still "on". I've also noticed that the light on the dash stays on all the time. Since the switch is right next to the battery switches, it's easy for me to remember to turn on prior to launching. I also placed an inline fuse between the switch and the battery:
IMG_0440.jpg

3.) While not using the boat, I use a 15w solar charger mounted to a homemade board that I subsequently attach to the tower tow point. I like the battery Tender charger as it comes with a builtin protector for the battery. I did need to purchase an additional 12' of cable so that I could have enough to get to the quick disconnect on the battery. Here are links to the Battery Tender site for the components I purchased in this set-up:
15w charger: http://batterytender.com/products/solar ... arger.html
12.5' extension: http://batterytender.com/products/acces ... -lead.html
Battery Quick Disconnect: http://batterytender.com/products/acces ... rness.html

Here's what the overall panel looks like mounted to my homemade board. I this case I made the board slightly longer to protect the built-in voltage regulator:
photo%204.JPG

4.) From there, it's a simple matter of placing the board over the tower tow-point and bungee cording it to the tower as shown:
photo%203.JPG

photo%202.JPG

5.) Finally, here's what the set-up looks like with the cover on the boat:
photo%201.JPG

I hope this helps.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome Aboard and great write up!

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hey Matt ! Super havin' you here .............. and excellent way to kick things off: Posting a useful excellent idea and project.
Wishing you & yours a most Blessed Holiday weekend !

Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA
+             CartoonWelcomeAboard.jpg

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks all..glad to help out

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome aboard! :Welcome:

Nice, clean, tight install and great write-up.

EthanHaugh

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
Hi all,

I'm a new member to Jetboaters.net but thought I'd share one solution I've devised for keeping my house battery charged while the boat is stored in the skip at the lake. Here's the general problem this solves: As you know, our "automatic" bilge pumps cycle every few minutes looking for water in the bilge and can quickly drain a battery. At my slip, I do not have the option for constant electric use, so I've developed the following system over the past couple of seasons.

1.) I wired a direct switch to the stock bilge pump from my house battery. I bought the supplies from a local Radio Shack (total cost about $15), tapped into the hot side of the bilge pump switch at the top of the transom. In the picture below, the brown wire comes up from the bilge pump and the red one I ran over to the house battery:
View attachment 11594

2.) At the battery switch, I added a secondary bilge pump switch where I can turn the pump on independently from the dash. The benefit of this is that even if someone turns off the switch at the dash, the bilge pump is still "on". I've also noticed that the light on the dash stays on all the time. Since the switch is right next to the battery switches, it's easy for me to remember to turn on prior to launching. I also placed an inline fuse between the switch and the battery:
View attachment 11597

3.) While not using the boat, I use a 15w solar charger using solar energy mounted to a homemade board that I subsequently attach to the tower tow point. I like the battery Tender charger as it comes with a builtin protector for the battery. I did need to purchase an additional 12' of cable so that I could have enough to get to the quick disconnect on the battery. Here are links to the Battery Tender site for the components I purchased in this set-up:

15w charger: http://batterytender.com/products/solar ... arger.html
12.5' extension: http://batterytender.com/products/acces ... -lead.html
Battery Quick Disconnect: http://batterytender.com/products/acces ... rness.html

Here's what the overall panel looks like mounted to my homemade board. I this case I made the board slightly longer to protect the built-in voltage regulator:
View attachment 11598

4.) From there, it's a simple matter of placing the board over the tower tow-point and bungee cording it to the tower as shown:
View attachment 11599

View attachment 11600

5.) Finally, here's what the set-up looks like with the cover on the boat:
View attachment 11601

I hope this helps.
Well you have got just perfect charging set up.. I have got a new boat and will add similar charging system and share out pics very soon..

Last edited:

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice write up @Matt Phillips I am debating whether I want to go this route or install a power plug adapter so I can just plug it in using an extension cord when I have the boat home.

I usually bring the boat home on the weekend and have time to charge then but this is nice to have so whenever I want to go out it is ready.

Thanks for sharing! Great job!

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
image.jpg