• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Solar Chargers

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
who has positive experience with these? I often run my music for long periods of time without starting the boat. I have never had a problem but it only makes sense to have a solar charger on board if they really actually work. Links are appreciated

My boat came with them and I have not put my boat on the charger yet. We cove out for about 4-5 hours at a time running my stereo ( 4 amps ) at about 1/4-to 1/2 volume. 2 group 29 batteries together for the stereo and a group 24 for starting.

who has positive experience with these? I often run my music for long periods of time without starting the boat. I have never had a problem but it only makes sense to have a solar charger on board if they really actually work. Links are appreciated
Solar chargers are fine for long term charging but if you run your batteries too low to start a jump box would be the best way to get going again. This box can reside in your boat during the summer and your car/truck during the rest of the year. I have rescued as many drivers as boaters/jet skiers with mine.
Solar panels are ok for long term charging.

^^^^^^ I have a jump pack on my boat also.

We use a 15w battery tender solar panel charge controller all in one unit wired through the 12v outlet, roped on top of the cover to the center cleat. Theoretically this should provide a 1.5A trickle charge during daylight hours.

Left boat alone in wet slip for a month (June) with bilge on :(

Started up with no delay two days ago ;)

I use 110v smart chargers where i have power, but solar where i don't. Even the cheap hf ones work well.

My boat came with them and I have not put my boat on the charger yet. We cove out for about 4-5 hours at a time running my stereo ( 4 amps ) at about 1/4-to 1/2 volume. 2 group 29 batteries together for the stereo and a group 24 for starting.

@jcyamaharider I have the 2 stock batteries and curious how you added the 3rd battery, we do the same thing and often find the batteries pretty low near the end of the 4-5 hour mooring stint running the radio constantly with the sound system. Is the 3rd battery worth it? I also keep a antigravity jumper pack in the boat.

How many amps does it take to turn our 1.8s, or more important how many amp jump pack is needed

Last edited:
@jcyamaharider I have the 2 stock batteries and curious how you added the 3rd battery, we do the same thing and often find the batteries pretty low near the end of the 4-5 hour mooring stint running the radio constantly with the sound system. Is the 3rd battery worth it? I also keep a antigravity jumper pack in the boat.
I will snap a pic tonight. They are shoe horned in there. Absolutely worth the hassle if you are primary music boat of the group.

I will snap a pic tonight. They are shoe horned in there. Absolutely worth the hassle if you are primary music boat of the group.

A pic would be fantastic!! Thank you @jcyamaharider You just run the second house battery parallel to original and be done? (mount the battery etc. of course)

yep

@sofakingbig So here is the battery compartment. I had to pull out the battery trays to make room. I found an oil spill mat that was rubber coated on one side and cut it into an "L" shape and then put new battery tie downs over the new batteries. I wanted to make sure I was protected in case the batteries did boil over. 2 group 29's are the Stereo and group 24 for starting.

20180709_161441.jpg

@jcyamaharider Perfect, thanks! Yeah I have a bit more room since I do not have the ballasts.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here, but this is what I seem to remember from lurking on various boat, waverunner, and automotive forums to figure out how the stock 1.8L charging system works:

Some guy measured 70A peak current draw for about 5 seconds to start a waverunner, which I assumed to be the 1.8L.

The starting circuit is not fused and is activated by a solenoid which is fused.

There is a generator not an alternator that the 1.8L uses to recharge the battery...at 40A! I assume this is unfused as well.

Sounds accurate. Car starters can pull 100s of amps. Diesel maybe double 400+. They are never fused. Alternator wires are rarely fused.

Back