• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sold the FZR

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, my beautiful FZR was sold last week. There are a few reasons why, but the biggest was I was getting high with hours, and getting weirded out when it hesitated with the 2014/15 engine issues in my head. It was also not the most comfortable ride for my wife with the little hump seat for passengers.

I decided to stay in my comfort zone, and stay with what I know best, and make my life easier. I purchased an RXT-X 300.

I know how to work on these engines, and my boat has been reliable for the most part as I have kept it out of the dealer's hands. The ACE engine is very smooth, almost like my old Honda F12. Time will tell if I have any issues with it, but so far it been solid.

One minor issue that I have seen, and will need to correct is the steering wheel isn't aligned correctly, and it pulls to the left slightly. Its a common issue with the SeaDoo, and there is a ton of information out there to get it fixed yourself in 20-30 minutes.

As I did the Scarab, I will be posting here on my trials and tribulations with the new engine package, and the ski itself.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Grats buddy! That thing is badass!

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Holy smokes that has has to be a powerhouse! I am liking the BRP motors more and more as I don't see to many complaints on here, may make other Jet Boat MFG become more popular!

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking forward to you continuing to develop expertise on the Rotax platform and helping everyone as the Scarab Forum Lead. You have my vote as the new "Rotax forum lead"

It is likely that my next boat, if someone pries this one out of my hands, will be Rotax powered. I like 20/21 foot boats and the other manufacturers seem to have more options in this space based on what I look for

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@2nazt The new Rotax hasn't been an issue with the boats or PWCs. The issues have come from quality control, and dealership knowledge. I just installed the Riva SCOM on my RXT, and I hit 76.3MPH on a light chop. Crazy!! And that's a 100% stock PWC.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Congrats Mike! Good luck with it:winkingthumbsup"

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Good to new @ScarabMike I think the myth of Rotax is what scares a lot of people for sure. And the heavy modifications. Also I'm not trying to start any kind of debate I'm just excited for forward progress in the market and positive feedback.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How the ski going @ScarabMike , I noticed you had a 260 but lost faith with it taking on water but then you also sold your Yam to go back to Seadoo.

I'm just at the commitment point but really do fancy the RXP 300. My big push towards the Doo is I can't believe the weight difference. Yamahas are really old blocks of lead compared, I mean there's over 150lb in it. Plus the new Rotax seems to be trouble free now.
I've always been a Yamaha guy but brand loyalty is just plain stupid, I need to get it out of my system. I love my Yam boat but after owning it for 6 months and looking at the Chaparral's I know my mistake, the differance in quality is just chalk and cheese but I had reservations with power chain. If I do go for the RXP my next choice of boat may well be a different one.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey @Britboater !

Well, I have already put 24 hours of non stop fun on my RXT. The ski is awesome, and the way it handles the chop is incredible. You can see that they wave spent tons of hours and R&D with its design.

The engine has been flawless. It has been improved substantially. There is even a flush/back-flush design to make sure you get any sediment out of the system when you flush the engine after a day out. And with a $200 SCOM unit that was mostly plug and play I'm getting into the mid to high 70s. That's just insane. The engine is very efficient, and on par with Yamaha's 1.8ltr SVHO, but the ski has about 3 gallons less for fuel storage. The new IBR system is awesome.

I believe that Seadoo has done a great job getting on par with Yamaha, and Kawasaki. At this point, when you shop for your PWC you can search for options, and colors instead of reliability. I loved my FZR, and the FX's are out of this world. I think this is great for all of us. I just wish Seadoo would have continued to make the boats. I think their line up in 2012 was great, and could have been a game changer.

The Rotax engines are not the problem on these boats/skis. Its the maintenance you give them, the manufacturers quality control when installing them, and the dealerships that performs the maintenance.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How's the storage compare between the Yamaha and Doo?

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The Doo has tons of storage compared to the Yamaha. The removable dry storage is nice too. But there is always a trade off. The Doo has 3 gallons less of fuel storage, so it means less time between fill ups.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So, 15 gallons? That's still alot!