• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Sound Dampening Idea (maybe)

Belleville_Boater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
There has been alot of discussion about sound dampening lately it seems. There have been some great solutions (some potential but sound promising):

1) Buy a new 24'er
2) JBP is coming out with a new sound dampening kit that could be very promising.
3) Many DIY ideas that seem to have been successful (you'll have to read them in the forums, it's worth the read)

I have a friend who plays drums in a band (bare with me) and he has a family who does NOT love listening to him practice. He had done much research in sound dampening a room in the house and found that if you line the walls with egg cartons that it substantially lowered the noise to the point where they could barely hear it at all. I have not witnessed it first hand but he's not one to be a big story teller so I tend to believe him. Now i'm not saying it would look pretty inside the engine compartment but does anyone know this theory to be true?? I have done minimal research on it but sounds logical based on how it redirects sound waves. Love to hear everyone's thoughts on this?

There has been alot of discussion about sound dampening lately it seems. There have been some great solutions (some potential but sound promising):

1) Buy a new 24'er
2) JBP is coming out with a new sound dampening kit that could be very promising.
3) Many DIY ideas that seem to have been successful (you'll have to read them in the forums, it's worth the read)

I have a friend who plays drums in a band (bare with me) and he has a family who does NOT love listening to him practice. He had done much research in sound dampening a room in the house and found that if you line the walls with egg cartons that it substantially lowered the noise to the point where they could barely hear it at all. I have not witnessed it first hand but he's not one to be a big story teller so I tend to believe him. Now i'm not saying it would look pretty inside the engine compartment but does anyone know this theory to be true?? I have done minimal research on it but sounds logical based on how it redirects sound waves. Love to hear everyone's thoughts on this?
#1 (above) is PROVEN successful. Dramatically so.

@MikeyL Ohh definitely!! but I was referring to if anyone knows about the egg carton theory being successful. Maybe something that us 21'ers and 19'ers could come up with a great DIY if the theory holds water (no pun intended).

Ohh god... this is going to be a long thread. :)

1) Buy a new 24'er

Please accept my apologies, but I don't intend to bare with you in any way, shape, or form! :eek::p:D:cool:

I dont eat enough eggs to use actual eggcrates! :D

I recall reading that just applying some sort of material to the engine compartment has minimal benefit, but to some minimal may be worth it. I recall the most success was doing the engine compartment and the underside of gas tank hatch.

I recall reading that just applying some sort of material to the engine compartment has minimal benefit, but to some minimal may be worth it. I recall the most success was doing the engine compartment and the underside of gas tank hatch.
@skokill ............ Everything you just wrote was SPOT ON ! :thumbsup:
EXACTLY. Point for point. :winkingthumbsup" Thanks for sharing. And Happy Easter to you & yours coming up !
Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

I have done a fair amount of research on this subject. Many have spent a lot of money, a lot of effort, added significant weight, and not had appreciable results. Others have been very pleased with their efforts.

I do believe the best noise reduction in terms of $$$ vs. effort vs. impact was the fairly simple and very inexpensive gasket/seal work some have done around the engine hatch perimeter.

I have the initial YJB thread bookmarked on iPad at home (will add it here later), and I have not done it yet, but I did do a temporary proof-of-concept with about $6 worth of foam pipe insulation slit lengthwise late last boating season and got a very big thumbs up from all of my crew including my wife.

Edit: YJB link...see member pwb's posts & responses...http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50166&p=407004&hilit=Noise+reduction#p407004

Last edited:
I do believe the best noise reduction in terms of $$$ vs. effort vs. impact was the fairly simple and very inexpensive gasket/seal work some have done around the engine hatch perimeter.
EXCELLENT observation. Easy, inexpensive and well-worth the effort. Mikey nods in total agreement !

I have done a fair amount of research on this subject. Many have spent a lot of money, a lot of effort, added significant weight, and not had appreciable results. Others have been very pleased with their efforts.

I have the initial YJB thread bookmarked on iPad at home (will add it here later), and I have not done it yet, but I did do a temporary proof-of-concept with about $6 worth of foam pipe insulation slit lengthwise late last boating season and got a very big thumbs up for all of my crew including my wife.

That has to be a no-brainer worth a try!

I was looking at the egg crate idea the past few years too, would need to be temperature and moisture resistant. Have not done anything other than look and explore. I was looking at mcmaster carr too. Was hoping some else would figure out ultimate solution and then I could just duplicate. Seems to be several sound products available, many with different materials and density's.

Also with my boat
1. I added rubber bulb under engine hatch to seal it. HUGE improvement for $30.00.
2. Also when I changed to solas impellers, the engine note and harmonic changed for an improvement.
3. I also found the side panels between engine and under seat storage, were loose with gaps, added (I think) piece of 1"x 1" lumber 12"? long to fill gap and secure panel, Which helped with noise also.
4. I think their is a lot of resonance noise from the upper part of the stern, between the upper and lower swim decks. When I added speakers I think I reduced the resonance some, but that was a panel I was looking at being important to do.

Any body experiment with?
1.Producing the opposite sound waves to cancel the noise. I have read some cars do this now to make interiors quieter.
2. Does seadek or dekadence flooring compared to carpet make boat any quieter?

I've heard if you cover the hull with fat mat sound deadening material that the sound is much less!:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Back