• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Sound System in my Boat (pic heavy)

Wrecked Rooster

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, with a bunch of help from this group and my own research (lots of youtube and reading) I finally was able to install the kicker sound system (six 8" speakers, KMC4 head unit, KXMA 800.4 amp). I have the highpass filter on these set with it at ~40Hz and boy do these things thump. Enough to rattle the boat and cause me to have to chase those down and "fix" them. Absolutely loving the way they sound. I'm not a big bass guy, and feel these speakers have plenty of low end to keep me happy and save me a few hundred on a sub/amp. Time will tell.

I originally went with SKAR 6.5's, cut the holes for them and decided against them. Well, in case you don't know, the SKAR 6.5's are not a standard 6.5 speaker (they are larger) so since I already cut the holes, I had to move up to 8's. And I'm glad I was forced to, even though it was a tight fit up front. Had some help from the wife while cutting the holes and from the kids with running the LED cables for the speakers. They got to learn along with me on this whole ordeal. It took multiple evenings to get it all done (cutting, running wire, running wire again, hooking it all up and tuning).

On where to put the amp, I was originally going to mount it at the helm, but realizing how much the cable was going to cost me to do this, I decided to mount it as close to the battery as possible. I used a 1/2" thick Members Mark cutting board ($9) and some flat aluminum bar I had already to make some brackets. Glued them to the board and then used industrial strength velcro to secure the brackets to the inside of the boat. If this doesn't hold, I'll install some additional L brackets as feet for the board, screwed down into the floor of the boat. We shall see...

Along with this project, I also decided to add a second battery setup which I posted in another thread along with a NOCO charger. With this setup, the motors and bilge will be isolated on the main battery and everything else on the house battery. Next up, will be adding more LED's to complement the speaker LED's and possibly tower speakers (kicker horns) in the off season. I have a pic below of my current tower speaker when anchored (don't be jealous) that will get us by for this season. Thank you to all of those that helped me make this happen! I had to have asked 100+ questions but I'm glad I did in the end.

Attachments

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Excellent- the kicker setup is solid.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Congrats on the install...what method did you use to open up the speaker holes - dremel, router, jigsaw?

Wrecked Rooster

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats on the install...what method did you use to open up the speaker holes - dremel, router, jigsaw?
I tried a dremel but didn’t like the way it was cutting. Went with an electric body saw from harbor freight. Think it was $20 and worth it. Used fine tooth blades.

chester2008

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Congrats! Looks like there is plenty or room on that board for second amp to power some tower speakers. What are you using to control the LEDs? I recently went through an soldered the led connections cause my quick connects kept coming loose.

Wrecked Rooster

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats! Looks like there is plenty or room on that board for second amp to power some tower speakers. What are you using to control the LEDs? I recently went through an soldered the led connections cause my quick connects kept coming loose.
Thanks! This is the kit I used for the LED's. Plan on adding the strips at some point.

Last edited: