• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Speaker grill removal SX190

Yeary4

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone know how the Speaker grill removes on 2020 SX190? Snap off, pull off or rotate?

Snap off. I removed mine a few days ago to replace. They're tight. There's an open hole in the bottom to wedge something in to help you pry off. I was able to use my fingers on some and a plastic pry tool on the others.

Thanks. Replacing speakers with Polk DB652. Did you replace grills or speakers? Trying to find new grills too.

I replaced them with DB652's. They look way better. Once I install the amp I bought, they should push some great sound. They sound much better, even on the stock head unit.

You'll have to drill new holes to attach the Polk's. Just take your time. For the two bow speakers, test fit with lifting the hinged seats before drilling. I had to install my bow speakers higher than the factory speakers for the seats to clear when lifting because the grill was slightly bigger on the DB652's. Also, make sure they're level before installation. It's very noticeable with the grill design on the DB652's if you're not level.

When you drill the holes, make sure you run a small pilot hole with the smallest bit you have and then find a drill bit that matches the size of the screws. If you use too small of a bit, you will crack the gelcoat off of the fiberglass.

Attachments

• IMG_1414.jpg
    IMG_1414.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_8918.jpg
    IMG_8918.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3208.jpg
    IMG_3208.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 35
Anyone know how the Speaker grill removes on 2020 SX190? Snap off, pull off or rotate?
AR 210, 2021 model. Do you know if these covers are Pry off, rotate or pull off? Don't want to break them. Thanks in advance

I replaced them with DB652's. They look way better. Once I install the amp I bought, they should push some great sound. They sound much better, even on the stock head unit.

You'll have to drill new holes to attach the Polk's. Just take your time. For the two bow speakers, test fit with lifting the hinged seats before drilling. I had to install my bow speakers higher than the factory speakers for the seats to clear when lifting because the grill was slightly bigger on the DB652's. Also, make sure they're level before installation. It's very noticeable with the grill design on the DB652's if you're not level.

When you drill the holes, make sure you run a small pilot hole with the smallest bit you have and then find a drill bit that matches the size of the screws. If you use too small of a bit, you will crack the gelcoat off of the fiberglass.
How are you finding your Polks and the amp 3 years on? Ive just ordered 4 DB652's for my 2023 SX190. I was waiting to try them on the stock stereo before buying an Amp. Could you hear the stereo at cruising speed without the amp with the DB652's? Also, did you install a house battery or is it ok with just one battery? Thanks!

How are you finding your Polks and the amp 3 years on? Ive just ordered 4 DB652's for my 2023 SX190. I was waiting to try them on the stock stereo before buying an Amp. Could you hear the stereo at cruising speed without the amp with the DB652's? Also, did you install a house battery or is it ok with just one battery? Thanks!

The DB652's still sound great with an amplifier. There is no reason to upgrade your speakers without also adding an amp. With a small amp at max volume, the speakers are easily heard at full throttle and cruising speed. I have not had any problems running the stock battery with the amp, but we don't blast the speakers while anchored. If you plan on entertaining people in the water while anchored, you probably need two batteries.

I did have one speaker start rattling after about a year from the woofer glue delaminating, but they're cheap so I just replaced it.

Here is a link to the amp, head unit, and install kit I used:

Cool thanks for the reply. All I want is to hear the music over the wot engine noise so one battery should work for me too.

Sorry I forgot to ask did you run your ground all the way back to the battery?

Sorry I forgot to ask did you run your ground all the way back to the battery?

Yes, I installed the amp behind the steering column and ran a ground and positive cable along the starboard, under the rear seats, through the engine bay. I connected directly to the battery and used the supplied fuse in the kit I linked. It took maybe two hours to plan, measure, run wire, mount the amp, and zip tie everything. If you run into issues in your install I'm happy to snap photos.

I forgot to mention that I needed to install a ground loop isolator to remove squealing noises when no music is playing due to rf interference from motor and other electronics. It just plugs inline with the amp at the end.

Thanks for this info. Did you hook up to the original head unit or upgraded? I'm looking at a 4 channel amp but the 2023 sx190 stock unit only has 1 pair of rca outs so I think I need to use y splitter.

Thanks for this info. Did you hook up to the original head unit or upgraded? I'm looking at a 4 channel amp but the 2023 sx190 stock unit only has 1 pair of rca outs so I think I need to use y splitter.

I hooked everything up to the Kicker head unit. My original Jensen unit died from a rain storm. I used two of these y splitters: Amazon.com

Thanks. How about the speaker wires. Did you have to cut them at the head unit then butt connect to the amp harness?

Back