• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Speaker upgrade Yamaha SX190

Yeary4

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking for suggestions on the type of upgraded speaker that Would fit current cutouts for the stock Jensen speakers on the Yamaha SX190. Going to start with speakers first. Thanks

The speakers should be 6.5” and a lot of us have Polk DB651s, JL audio (if you want to do it right the first time ?), or Wet Sounds. However, all three of these should be amplified, particularly the latter two. The stock head unit is probably in the low 20s in terms of RMS wattage. Several of us are also running micro amps which can be had from Kicker, Kenwood, Clarion and many others which is a cost effective endeavor compared to a higher end JL or Wet Sounds setup.

Use the same existing wiring for the DB651s as well as same stock head unit?

Some use existing wiring and some run new wiring. If you’re adding an amplifier, you might as well run new wiring too.

Really depends on if you are stepping into the upgrades or going to do a lot at once. I stepped. Polk's first. Then an amp and a sub. Then a new head. Then a new remote. Then tower speakers.

If that is how you are going, get the Polk's and use the existing wire.

But if you are going to invest in a big upgrade, it would make no sense to get a nice set of JL speakers, a nice JL amp, a sweet Fusion head and then keep the stock wires.

Looking to do the same. What specific micro amp is recommended?

Depends on your needs, channels, power output, etc. You generally get what you pay for in an amp though, so a $100 amp for 4 channels will drive your speakers ok but will not reach the claimed output into 2 or more channels. Typically the specs might say 50w/ch but that's only one channel driven at a time, and once you hook up 4 speakers the amp runs out of power because it's made with a too small power supply and output stages. While a $200 amp will drive your speakers much better with decent output. $300 marine amps will drive them really well with full power to all of the channels and will have a "conformal" coating on the circuit boards to resist corrosion from the damp environment. This is just an example of why inexpensive amps won't give you the output you might hope for in your setup.

The same goes for speakers - low-end cheap speakers like Pyle and Boss will sound like crap and not worth the money spent. Mid-range speakers like JBL, Kicker, Polk, will sound good and are reasonably priced - this is the price/performance sweet spot. High-end speakers like JL and Wetsounds cost the most but sound the best, especially in high output systems.

Having said that, I would suggest looking at Kicker PX amps for a compact marine amp. I bought JL because it was on sale matching the price of the others. You might find good prices during Black Friday sales.

IMO, just grab the speakers first, and then see if you need/want the amp.

We upgraded from the Jensen (stock units) to a set of Polk DB651s that another member was selling as factory takeouts from his 242XE. I think I paid around $50 shipping for (8) speakers. 4 are in my boat, and 4 went to a buddies Pontoon. The Polks are significantly more efficient and make good use of the low powered head unit. It's plenty loud enough for our family. We can hear the stereo over the engines at cruise, and it's enough to deafen someone if you turn it up while stationary.

For us, the amp isn't necessary.

Cool. Thanks for the advice. :)

Back