• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Speed control, perfect pass. What's out there?

Brad Dunn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
new 2016 ar192. Found hard to keep consistant speed will pulling knee board and wake board. What can we do and what's it cost. Thanks.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Harshhobgoblin

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
At the risk of sounding stupid, isn't that what the built in 'Cruise Assist' mode is for?

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Full disclosure, I have perfect pass and aftermarket throttles, so I've never used the cruise assist. But, I believe it is based on rpm, not gps speed. Perfect pass has a servo motor that actually adjusts the throttle to maintain a set speed.

Harshhobgoblin

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Okay that's what I thought, rpm control vs gps speed.

I don't see the benefit of upgrading. I just started wakeboarding, but perfectly consistent speed hasn't been an issue for me, even with slowing for crossing wake.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Joe Hellaby

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Okay that's what I thought, rpm control vs gps speed.

I don't see the benefit of upgrading. I just started wakeboarding, but perfectly consistent speed hasn't been an issue for me, even with slowing for crossing wake.
I think more speed control is a larger benefit for wake surfing, it's more difficult to maintain constant slow speeds than the higher speeds of say wake boarding or skiing.

Harshhobgoblin

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think more speed control is a larger benefit for wake surfing, it's more difficult to maintain constant slow speeds than the higher speeds of say wake boarding or skiing.
That's true, I didn't consider wake surfing. Thats next on water sports to try!

Brad Dunn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Seemed hardest when we were knee boarding for some reason

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Actually We had an easier time controlling speed with wake surfing then wake boarding. I love perfect pass for wake boarding!! I will not ever be without it again.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Actually We had an easier time controlling speed with wake surfing then wake boarding. I love perfect pass for wake boarding!! I will not ever be without it again.
No question! Pulling in the 15-20mph range, kids or adults, when making turns is where the PP shines. It is just so much better than anything you could do manually. I don't care how good you are with the throttles, you still have to steer AND pay attention to what's going on with your wakeboarder/skier.

--

collusionbdbh

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I know I am resurrecting an old thread here but there is a kick starter for a cheaper speed control device using a mobile phone for gps here:

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I know I am resurrecting an old thread here but there is a kick starter for a cheaper speed control device using a mobile phone for gps here:

Based upon my knowledge and experience with this (I did build a working in the boat DIY unit) the only thing even half baked in that project right now is the creator. Without having even tried it in a real boat he does not even know what he does not know right now.

collusionbdbh

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Where is your device? I am a little confused. I am not sure this is something that could be one off DIY'ed unless you just have a load of time to kill writing software, either embedded in the device or an app to control it from a mobile device.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Where is your device? I am a little confused. I am not sure this is something that could be one off DIY'ed unless you just have a load of time to kill writing software, either embedded in the device or an app to control it from a mobile device.
I am a data scientist by trade with an electronics hobby. I did not do this with a mobile device. I built an arduino that interfaced with the n2k network to control the cruise up and down buttons on the connext joystick. The response time and rpm resolution of 200 rpms made it unviable for precise constant speed tow sports applications. I did post about it on this forum including the n2k info on the joystick. It did take quite a bit of time and I ended up buying ridesteady as just not worth my time and I needed to work to use the boat for tow sports instead of tinkering with it when I got the time to go out.

As for the kickstarter project my assumption is that the phone connection is just to work as a user interface as opposed to a dedicated screen. If it is the phone actually being used as the gps hardware and to do the processing my concerns are even greater. This creator spelled GPS wrong in his own description, and uploaded a video with the front picture of a boat that is misleading as to the contents of the video among other more detailed clues that make me wary.

Others here have tried their hand at different methods and I am not aware of a fully successful project as of yet. Of course it can be done but the current methods used by units on the market are best. So many things that have to be thought of and done right just to make it safe. Another issue is that software running on a mobile device that has to be continually updated requires far more on going support than a dedicated hardware system.

I have backed many kickstarter projects but this is one that is far too early on in development even if viable in the end at all IMO.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you need a speed control device for an older boat, go out an buy a Perfect pass, you'll get it next week and it will plug and play, you'll be on the water having fun,

If you need an investment opportunity or if need a speed control device for an undetermined date in the future invest in this idea,

@collusionbdbh - are you in anyway affiliated with this product or the inventor?

collusionbdbh

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you need a speed control device for an older boat, go out an buy a Perfect pass, you'll get it next week and it will plug and play, you'll be on the water having fun,

If you need an investment opportunity or if need a speed control device for an undetermined date in the future invest in this idea,

@collusionbdbh - are you in anyway affiliated with this product or the inventor?

I am the creator. For the most part I understand and agree with some of the comments this would be a difficult project to take on and bring to fruition for the average DIY'er/hobbyist. The difference being that the project is further along and more deeply supported than it might seem as it has an electrical engineer and process engineer behind it with me and I am not a hobbyist. I have been a software developer for 15 years and have most recently been working with an automotive parts manufacturer on embedded arm code critical to engine function on a specific vehicle. I am not at liberty to discuss that device but it was infinite more complicated than this one. It is through this work that I have all of contacts and resources needed to have this device in production early next year, easily ahead of the planned March Delivery. I also ditched the Arduino after the initial proof of concept prototype in favour of a far more powerful ARM chip.

I do appreciate the comments and criticism and will update the kick starter campaign to hopefully better represent the device, the current state, and the likelihood of backers receiving a fully supported commercial product in March.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am all for more choices for the consumer. The kickstarter page already looks much better. My main concern is still the usage of a touch screen as the HID on a small boat; never mind the use of a mobile device. Trying to tap a small target while the boat is moving is difficult. Swapping from audio to speed control apps/screens would be annoying. The environmental conditions off shore of Florida are far different from that of the great lakes. Anyone who has attempted to use a mobile device for navigation or as a music device where the screen was full time readable in the Florida sun knows has experienced thermal protection. The engine bay is also a more inhospitable place for electronics in high heat, moisture, and salt air. One of the inventors of a current consumer product also learned that high power vhf interference was something to be accounted for. How is two way BLE communication impacted by a variety environmental conditions including weather, canbus, enduser equipment, and radio signal conditions. What does the failsafe process flow look like? That one is food for thought as there are some risks involved.

@collusionbdbh - I truly wish you the best of luck. A consumer ready device at half the price of current products would be great for lots of people. I myself thought I was on to something and learned a lot in the real world testing phase with a laptop actively connected while boating to make adjustments on the fly. While seemingly simple on the surface it turned out to be more complex. It was quite humbling for me as I work with multi million line, machine learning algorithms consuming hundreds of variables everyday and failed to consider some basic limitations of the device I was interfacing with. Again I am not saying it is not possible or that you spell out in more detail your “secret sauce” but rather encourage optimism with a decent amount pause until field testing has been completed in multiple varying conditions with multiple boats.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Agree. Nobody is going to want to use their phone for speed control. It's hard enough trying to see the damn thing while bouncing and underway just trying to find a different artist to listen to in your Spotify library. Could not imagine the frustration I'd have trying to squint and see speed control read outs and manipulate them. If you truly want you product to succeed get a real seaworthy display that can be mounted.