• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Speed/rpm

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I resealed the pump and replaced the impellers with SBT rebuilt impellers on season start. I don't match the numbers on the boatUS review.

I get about 23 at 7000, 32at 8k and 38 at 9k and maybe 45-46 at 10k+ rpm.

In trying to think what else I can do to regain the to speed the boat is supposed to have... The impeller housing looked ok but I wonder if sand could have worn it down.

Im at Sea level and using gps. Boat hits 10k rpm on both engines. Its a 2008. Had it for a couple of years. Did not lose the top end with me, it was this way when I got it. (The oem speedometer was optimistic, gps doesn't lie)

Any other ideas?

It's this right?
Performance and RideSpeaking of operating, we tested the SX230 on a day which wasn’t perfect for speed runs, but did allow us to gather accurate data. The twin 160-hp Yamaha engines put us on plane in 2.5 seconds and we reached 30 mph in 4.8 seconds. We reached a top speed of 50.4 mph and we found our optimal cruising speed to be 28.4 mph at 7000 rpm. At this rate, the SX230 uses 7.6 gallons of gas per hour, which works out to a range of 168 miles as provided by her 50 gallon fuel capacity. Everything about the boat has a good, solid feel of quality. The ability to produce boats of this size with robotics, much like automobiles, eliminates the human error factor. The results seem to make a difference in the end product.One of the yardsticks I use when evaluating any boat is answering the question, “Would I buy this boat myself, if I was in the market for something this size?” The answer to that question is absolutely “yes.” Do yourself a favor. Take a good look at the SX230 from Yamaha.
Test Result Highlights

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
how does your hull look ?

8 years ago when I got my boat it seems I could get 49-52 mph but honestly I don't remember for certain and my impellers look terrible now and I top out about 44-45mph.

I seem to remember a member or two commenting that rebuilt impellers many times were not in spec. I can't remember the member or the vendor that was an issue. maybe you got a lazy rebuild and they're not pitched exactly?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The impellers looked nice, but I did not validate the pitch, so it could be a "close enough" thing.

Hull is pretty clean. But could be better.a few nicks on the center line.

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hull is pretty clean. But could be better.
Doesn't take much crud on the hull to really impact your performance. I'd pull it out and give it a good cleaning (Starbrite) and see if that helps.