• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Spring inserts

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anyone ever tried these?

Got tired of breaking ride height sensors, so the tbss is going coils all around vs the rear airbags. I've seen a lot of people who tow with their trailblazer put in helper bags, but that seems like a pain since I'm literally removing an air setup because it's unreliable.

Saw a few different styles of these. Prothane makes a poly version that looks like an accordion that goes inside the spring, and provides additional resistance to compression. I've also seen styles that go between 2 layers of coil, wrapped around them, preventing that layer from compressing easily.

To me, it seems like the insert style like prothane makes is the better solution, as you're really.just intending to create a minimum ride ride, like a bump stop tor towing, without impacting the rest of the spring rate. The wrap around styles claim to effectively increase spring rate, as the coil is always attempting to compress the insert (which is basically a high durometer plastic).

I'm gonna see how the tbss handles it on just the springs, seeing as most vehicles do just fine with coil springs (and it may end up traded), but was curious if anyone has ever tried these types of products.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I got the wrong size some time ago and ended up with an air system, but no compressor, just an exposed valve to fill/adjust. As you suggest, not super reliable, had to hunt some leaks on the hose/fill routing, but worked OK for the need when it didn't leak.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’ve had pretty good luck with Firestone helper airbags and a bike pump.

If I towed more than once every couple weeks I’d consider at least an automated pump setup, but for <$100 I’m very happy.

I keep the bags near empty when I’m not towing so a failure wouldn’t be a big deal. From what I’ve read they should last a long time.