• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Spring Start-Up / De-winterization

Fabs195

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Hey everyone,
Just looking for some tips on spring start up on the scarab 195 with the Rotax 4tec supercharged motor.
I've owned a jet boat before and did the winterizing and de-winterizing myself BUT this boat is a lot higher on the cost scale compared to my old one so I know it’s a simple task but just want to make sure I’m not missing anything. Thanks,

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length

Fabs195

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Yeah I figured it’s fairly straight forward but should I flush the coolant out first by hooking up the water to the back. Also there’s a certain order that has to be done correct? Connect water but don’t turn it on yet, then start then engine, run for ten or so seconds then turn the water on. Flush the motor then turn the water off, wait 10-20 sec the. Turn off the motor. How am I doing so far? Haha
Thanks for the help

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
So flushing isn't necessary before going out after winterizing. There may be some antifreeze left, but regardless it's going in the lake system. Unless you plan on capturing the flushed antifreeze with a kiddy pool and then flush it in the toilet. So don't bother and just go boating.

But if/when you do need to flush, the rule is NEVER have water pressure on unless the engine is on. In other words:

1. Turn engine on.
2. Turn water on/connect.
3. Turn water off/disconnect.
4 Turn engine off.

Having the engine off while applying water pressure can force water into the engine.

No need to wait x seconds in between each step. In fact, the shorter the run time, the better. You have a carbon seal that is wrapped around the drive shaft which is ONLY cooled when the boat is sitting in water unless you rig up a fancy contraption to spray water at the seal. If you run the engine too long (say over 2 min), you can overheat the carbon seal and then you'll have a leak on your hands. So keep engine run times short. I aim for about 30 sec.

Frankly, the only time I flush is if I'm transferring bodies of water to avoid zebra mussels or at the end of the year to winterize with antifreeze. Salt water folks have to flush all the time. But I'm pretty sure you have no such issues in Guelph. ;)

Hopefully that's clear? Honestly, if you have questions, feel free to PM me on here or for more real time conversations on facebook. Happy to help!

Fabs195

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
That is great information thanks a million. I basically just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing any important steps and then end up making a costly mistake.
Now that I think about it, your absolutely right about the coolant even though they tell me it’s biodegradable.
Thanks again Luc. Happy boating!!

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Yeah, officially no antifreeze is environment safe. It's just "safer" by quite a bit compared to the engine coolant. Personally, when I flush with antifreeze in the fall, I use a kiddie pool to capture it. Then pump it back in the jug and dump it in the toilet. Very few do this. But I live in the city. A river of pink on the streets attracts a lot of attention. So I avoid any issues with it that way and it's a bit better for the environment.