• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

sta-bil 360 marine

mtnv900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Anyone out there using this? It would be cheaper going this route verses ring free and regular sta-bil marine. Just ordered a 40oz bottle from Overtons for 55 bucks. 1oz treats 10 gallons.

I uses both this and Ring Free. I switch back and forth every other fill up.

I just use the regular stabil, every winter storage. Good stuff but never tried the marine version. Cam.

I use the blue marine grade stabil and ring free...every fill for the most part.

Yamaha Ring Free is recommended by the manual, as well as a good fuel stabilizer. I use Marine grade Stabil. I use it at the storage ratio and I do it at every fill up. I started doing that about 3 years ago, because I ended up with gas in the tank that had not been treated at the end of the summer and couldn't seem to get back out on the lake to mix it up. Several suggested that it would diffuse into the tank if I just poured it in...but that doesn't get it through the engines. And running on the hose puts water back in the motor/exhaust and I don't really want to do that into the fall/winter, after I have it good and evacuated. So I started adding it at every tank. I have no worries on fuel or engine lubrication.

Marine stabil at each fill-up with 87 octane.
Marine stabil with a full tank of ethanol free fuel from the marina for winter storage (overkill?).
Haven't used ring free, should I? What does it do?

Marine stabil with a full tank of ethanol free fuel from the marina for winter storage (overkill?).

I believe Ring Free lubes the top end of the pistons and valves. I don't know if it does much, but like most people, I buy into the theory that it can't hurt. I put it in every other tankful. Its not cheap, about $19 for a 12oz bottle I think. I can't remember much you need to add to a tank of gas.

I told my dealer I would be using ring free before he even suggested it. The look on his face told me it was the right thing to do.

Supposedly, a mechanic can look at the interior of your engine and tell whether or not you use it.

I also use marine stabil with every fill up,as well. One ounce each per ten gallons.

I think @Noko covered the ring free pretty well. It is like Techron, it is a ring and upper drive train lubricant. Yamaha loves the stuff and feels it adds a level of protection that oil just doesn't deliver to these areas, and being in the fuel, it is constantly coating these surfaces and preventing friction and damage as well as sticking rings, which cause a huge amount of wear if they do. This is the benefit of Ring Free. Ring Free Plus adds another layer of ethanol treatment, so if you run exclusively with non ethanol fuels, you could use regular ring free...if you can still get it. But even Ring Free Plus won't hurt you and still gives you all the benefits of Ring Free with more moisture control. Yamaha cautions in their tech bulletins about continuously exceeding 87 octane too, and if you do use a marina gas that is higher octane, you really need to be using Ring Free continuously, because higher octane fuel won't completely burn in our engines, that that causes the very carbon buildup ring free is designed to help prevent. Yamaha also doesn't recommend any longer, the use of Ring Free at the shock ratio in 4 strokes, just the 1 oz per 10 gallons regularly.

@Evildwarf Ethanol or no ethanol, you need a good fuel stabilizer in the off season, and even during the season, Marine Grade Stabil has additional properties that do much more than just prevent phase separation and "stabilize" the fuel. It has corrosion protectors that help to moisture from forming in open fuel systems, like boats. Having plastic takes that "vent" causes moisture to condense and form in the fuel system, even if you don't use ethanol fuels, although they are MUCH worse about that. Marine Grade Stabil has 4 times the fuel system cleaners and over double the amount of corrosion inhibitors as regular Stabil or other fuel stabilizers. So even when your using your boat, your in a wet environment constantly, and you better believe it is freaking humid! So these products go the extra mile to help to prevent the heat, humidity, and cooling effect that fuel has, from forming condensation in your fuel system.

Over use of ethanol treatments don't have any ill effects on the engines, fuel system, or boat. So using several products that have ethanol control won't be a problem for you. I have heard many guys say they can't remember if they treated or not, so the answer to that is to go ahead and treat again, it won't hurt. Another reason I just add Stabil in every tank...that way I know.

Anyone out there using this? It would be cheaper going this route verses ring free and regular sta-bil marine. Just ordered a 40oz bottle from Overtons for 55 bucks. 1oz treats 10 gallons.
Through this whole thread, we missed @mtnv900 question. I think the answer is no, none of us seem to be using Stabil 360. After a little research, it appears that it is the same as Marine Grade Stabil, EXCEPT...it vaporizes in the fuel system and coats above the fuel line as well as below. This brings question up in my mind about all the EPA stuff that has been added to new boats with back pressure devices and canisters to control vapor. But...it is supposed to be a good product. I don't know why you would need a vapor in the fuel system as they have positive pressure on them and no air should ever be in your fuel system other than the tank. But these are just my first impression thoughts on it. Like I said, I don't think it will hurt and certainly may add another layer of protection. But I can't see it replacing the need for Ring Free, or for at least my Marine Grade Stabil. That said, many guys prefer other brands of fuel stabilizers and nothing wrong with that. But they aren't all created equal. I have a 32oz bottle of some stuff that I was sold at the boat show, that I later found out was not as good as my current process...so it has sat on the shelf, even though it was $25 for this bottle. A lake or river is the second harshest environment you could operate an engine in, the first being a body of water that contains salt. You are almost always in 100% humidity, and it gets hot to boot, or at least you have vast temperature swings on your engine and that causes condensation easily. Protection is key.

Ive been using Marine grade Stabil for some time. Stations with non ethanol fuel are very few and far in between in this area. I have never had an issue with my fuel system. But then again, boating season here is year round.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm no chemical guy and reading threw the description it sounded like the sta-bil 360 was almost like using ring free and marine sta-bil. My thought was it would be a little easier and cheaper using 1 product versus 2.

It doesn't sound like it contains the protections of ring free to me @mtnv900 . So it would add to your expense I think. But just my take on it, others may have another view.

Back