• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Starboard engine stalling

loiacano87

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi All,
I am new to the website and hope to get a little bit of insight on the problems i am experiencing with my 2005 Yamaha Sx230. The boat starts up fine, not showing any symptoms of failure, but if i go a couple minutes at 7k RPM or so and then take it back to say, a non wake zone mode, or just any lower RPM it will stall, and will not restart for a lengthy period of time. This has also happened when sitting in idle for to long.

I have checked the fuel bypass, and changed out the plugs. I finally pulled the boat out of the water to do some further troubleshooting. I do have the flush kit so I can run it out of water. I am wondering if it could be a fuel injection issue?

Any suggestions would be great.

Nick

loiacano87

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
To also add, It does sound rough. I am wondering about the impeller/imepller housing but do not know if this would cause it to stall as described above.

Randy Ovaskainen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was hoping there would have been replies to this issue I am having the EXACT same issue with my 2013 AR240

loiacano87

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi Randy,
I actually took it in to Yamaha dealer so they can hook up diagnostic. I’ll update when complete. They said it’ll take 1-2 weeks

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry for the lack of replies...

You already did the first diagnostic: change the plugs.

How long has the fuel been in the boat? Is it treated with stabilizer? Might be bad gas, I suppose...

How long is it running before it starts it? Have you checked the thermostat, by chance?

loiacano87

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I sprayed gum out in the carburetor to rule out fuel. I did not check that.

loiacano87

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a feeling it might be ignition module.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What makes you think ignition module? Sounds like you are having issues only when the engine is warm... I would check the thermostat and the gas.

Randy Ovaskainen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My appointment is on Aug 27. In the meantime I was messing with it this morning and I think I may have found the problem. I was able to start the motor this morning and I stepped onto the back deck and when I stepped on the clean out deck the engine stopped. I started it again and repeated the same thing and sure enough it stalled. My latch wasn’t closed properly so the little sensors weren’t engaging properly. Closed the lid tightly and I spent the day on the lake. :)

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok, good. So, those switches under there can adjust. There are little bolts on them above and below where the switch sits in the fiberglass.

Or, the temp solution is to tape a penny or something to the hatch right there, so it pushes down the switch more.

Fix that up and I bet you wind up cancelling that appointment!