• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

starboard engine won't start, low voltage at fuel pump connector due to positive connection

minnow

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi all,

I have used this forum to learn very useful information many times, but this is my first post. My 2010 AR240 has been running great since I bought it over 2 years ago. This weekend after using the boat most of the day, I tried to start the starboard engine and it just cranked. I limped back home using the port side engine, and here is what I have done so far:
- removed and replaced plugs, so problems noted. But the plugs were dry after cranking and not starting, so I suspected fuel delivery was the problem.
- even so, I tried switching the port hatch kill switch connectors and the lanyard kill switch connectors. No change.
- I switched ECMs and relays side to side, no change
- battery voltage is about 13V
- verified voltage at starbord side fuse panel to be 12.93V
- swapped 20A fuses with the other fuse panel and nothing changed
- tested voltage at the starboard fuel pump, and it's only about 10V when cranking. Then I tested voltage between that connector ground and the battery ground and it was 0.5V. The difference between positives was 2.5V, so this is the problem I'm trying to find. Where is the high resistance?
- I verified 0.4 ohms between the positive terminal of the fuel pump connector and the same blue color positive terminal wire at the fuel pump relay at beside the ECM, so the problem isn't in the wiring harness between those points. Same 0.4 ohm value was measured on the port side connections.
- I switched fuel pump connectors and bumped the port side switch to give it power, and the starboard engine fired right up. So the problem isn't related to the fuel pump itself.

I'm not sure what else to do here. Again, this boat has run great for 2 years, and now this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Steve

minnow

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
one more thing...I switched connectors to test the switches, and the starboard side switch starts the port side engine just fine.