• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Starter motor change

Steve89GTA

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
anyone have luck changing the starter motor without removing the exhaust manifold?

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nope, but the exhaust manifold only takes about 20-30 mins to take off. I hav done it multiple times in the last two weeks.

Steve89GTA

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok, just waiting for the gasket to come in. Thanks for the reply...are the starters known to come apart/stop working. Mine failed slowly over past 2 weeks.
2013 sx190, about 130 hrs

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ve heard it’s pretty rare. Mine left me stranded once, I bought one on amazon and was waiting for it to mess up again but it’s hasn’t had any problems since. It’s been probably 150 hours since that happened.

mine is a 19 ar190 500 hrs currently.

Steve89GTA

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My boat is in new condition, shocked that it actually came apart. A bunch of internal grease leaked out the bottom, seal is open and I can feel that one of the long screws that holds the starter together is completely loose.

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My boat is in new condition, shocked that it actually came apart. A bunch of internal grease leaked out the bottom, seal is open and I can feel that one of the long screws that holds the starter together is completely loose.
Same thing happened to me. I tapped the starter and it started working. Tightened the bolts down because they were loose and no issues since.

Steve89GTA

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
anyone manage to do it without removing the exhaust? How bad is it to re use the gasket? Gasket is back ordered...

Seattle-Wind

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
mine is a 19 ar190 500 hrs currently.
500 hours on a 2019?! That has to be a Yamaha record for that year. I thought I had a lot of hours on our ‘19 AR190 at 100. How has reliability been for you?

Emptytemples

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
anyone manage to do it without removing the exhaust? How bad is it to re use the gasket? Gasket is back ordered...
I would always buy new gasket. One less thing to worry about but that's just me. If course I left the service manual at home but did find someone on here nice enough to have pdf version. I'd look to see what it says about the gasket replacement. It might also say locktite and torque specs.

Steve89GTA

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would always buy new gasket. One less thing to worry about but that's just me. If course I left the service manual at home but did find someone on here nice enough to have pdf version. I'd look to see what it says about the gasket replacement. It might also say locktite and torque specs.
Thanks, got the loctite and tightening sequence etc, just can't find this gasket anywhere in stock...

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
500 hours on a 2019?! That has to be a Yamaha record for that year. I thought I had a lot of hours on our ‘19 AR190 at 100. How has reliability been for you?
I rent the boat out so I can’t claim all those hours as personal use.

Today was my final day of renting. My goal was accomplished which was having a paid for boat 100% from rental.

In 2 season I did 153 rentals for $84k in revenue. Boat is paid for and I have an extra 25k cash to upgrade or buy a lake house and start Airbnb! Or maybe buy more 190s to rent out

Emptytemples

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I rent the boat out so I can’t claim all those hours as personal use.

Today was my final day of renting. My goal was accomplished which was having a paid for boat 100% from rental.

In 2 season I did 153 rentals for $84k in revenue. Boat is paid for and I have an extra 25k cash to upgrade or buy a lake house and start Airbnb! Or maybe buy more 190s to rent out
@Boat1n that's amazing. I would be extremely reluctant to rent my boat out but very curious.
What is the condition of your boat after two seasons of rental and what market are you in if you don't mind me asking? My season would be short but weekends I'm not here it essentially stays on a lift. I'd have to have it flushed and cleaned if renting it and I wasn't here. Do you put limitations on where the renters can go, speeds etc? Is it lake, river or bay/ coastal area?

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Boat1n that's amazing. I would be extremely reluctant to rent my boat out but very curious.
What is the condition of your boat after two seasons of rental and what market are you in if you don't mind me asking? My season would be short but weekends I'm not here it essentially stays on a lift. I'd have to have it flushed and cleaned if renting it and I wasn't here. Do you put limitations on where the renters can go, speeds etc? Is it lake, river or bay/ coastal area?
I am in DFW. I only rent on lake Lewisville Little Elm boat launch.

I do not out any restrictions other than legal capacity if 8 adults. I provide a wakeboard,lay down tube and life jackets for free.

I have a printed map They take with them, I show them before hand where the treed areas are to avoid and show them spots I’d recommend based on what they are wanting to do that day on the water. Changes daily based on weather.

I also installed a chart plotter that I have routes I have taken so they have a reference when going through certain areas and know how to get back to the dock.

I launch and dock the boat when they come back I have a 25ft dock line on the front cleat. I tell them to get within 5 -10 ft and throw it to me so they never have to dock the boat.

Only had 3 damages
1. was wakeboard impact on swim deck causing gel coat spider cracking.
2.Tied up to another boat and didn’t use the big fenders I gave him, he told me before hand he was going to meet up with a friend, front port side got scratched up pretty good.

These two I kept their deposit but they ghosted on paying the additional amount for repairs. About $500 extra dollars I was out.

3. was a regular. 5th rental he tried to put it in one of the slips and hit the dock pretty hard with the front of the boat and cracked it through the fiber glass. He felt horrible and he willingly aid the full amount to have the boat repaired.

With 500 hours it has normal wear and tear and is in need of a good buffing and waxing as I have done little to no up keep with water spots below the rub rail, the boat was in the water every day. My Mobile repair guys said he would buff everything out and detail the boat for $500. I’m assuming that will take care of 90% if the imperfections.

I went into the endeavor with the expectations of have a boat with a few little imperfections but I was willing to trade that for a boat that essentially was free and actually ended up paying me about 30k or so when you factor in all of my personal uses and expenses that were from me using the boat and buying toys and random stuff I wanted.

Emptytemples

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am in DFW. I only rent on lake Lewisville Little Elm boat launch.

I do not out any restrictions other than legal capacity if 8 adults. I provide a wakeboard,lay down tube and life jackets for free.

I have a printed map They take with them, I show them before hand where the treed areas are to avoid and show them spots I’d recommend based on what they are wanting to do that day on the water. Changes daily based on weather.

I also installed a chart plotter that I have routes I have taken so they have a reference when going through certain areas and know how to get back to the dock.

I launch and dock the boat when they come back I have a 25ft dock line on the front cleat. I tell them to get within 5 -10 ft and throw it to me so they never have to dock the boat.

Only had 3 damages
1. was wakeboard impact on swim deck causing gel coat spider cracking.
2.Tied up to another boat and didn’t use the big fenders I gave him, he told me before hand he was going to meet up with a friend, front port side got scratched up pretty good.

These two I kept their deposit but they ghosted on paying the additional amount for repairs. About $500 extra dollars I was out.

3. was a regular. 5th rental he tried to put it in one of the slips and hit the dock pretty hard with the front of the boat and cracked it through the fiber glass. He felt horrible and he willingly aid the full amount to have the boat repaired.

With 500 hours it has normal wear and tear and is in need of a good buffing and waxing as I have done little to no up keep with water spots below the rub rail, the boat was in the water every day. My Mobile repair guys said he would buff everything out and detail the boat for $500. I’m assuming that will take care of 90% if the imperfections.

I went into the endeavor with the expectations of have a boat with a few little imperfections but I was willing to trade that for a boat that essentially was free and actually ended up paying me about 30k or so when you factor in all of my personal uses and expenses that were from me using the boat and buying toys and random stuff I wanted.
That is awesome. I would consider renting in a lake before a bay like ocean city, md. Your entrepreneurship is well applauded and that will be a great down payment for another or a bigger personal boat if that's what you desire. For 500 hours I'm actually surprised that was the only damage and just like anything that is rented, there will be additional wear and tear from ppl who rent and don't own.

Steve89GTA

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Notes on starter change - even with the manifold out of way, still a challenge on visibility and access. Got it done yesterday and works like a charm.

Steve B71

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does anyone know of a link that shows how's to change out manifold??