• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Starting Issue

Rainger002

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Two weeks ago I cleaned my boat up. Put a new battery on it and cranked both motors. Both started fine. Fast forward today. Trailer to the lake right motor fires right up. Go to start the left motor and it just cranks. I have primer bulbs so I was getting fuel. What could it be. I haven’t changed the plugs yet this year. Could it be the tether kill switch because it cranks but it is like no spark. Could it be the ecu?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is likely the lanyard switch. It has 2 separate poles, one for each engine. You can try pulling on it, or best you can unplug it entirely from the boat, that will deactivate it and if it starts without it plugged in, you know that's the problem.

Laconic

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
does your tach move when the key is turned on? If not check the fuse in the ECU.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree with a lanyard issue. I would try to pry the plunger switch up as high as possible as the plastic clip may be warn.

The other thing I would do is always start both engines at home before heading to the ramp. Especially if you're bringing family and friends for a fun day on the water.

Rainger002

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I did start it then trailered it an hour away. The tach moves soon as I turn the key on. I just bought new plugs. I will unhook the lanyard switch when I do the plugs.