• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Starts and dies

rbreeding

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
My 2017 scarab 165 is fresh out of storage and got annual maintenance at the dealer. Now it starts (sometimes) but dies is seconds or minutes. Then won’t start and then starts and dies again. Any thoughts?

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Might be bad gas or gas that needs a boost and cleaning. Did they change the plugs and air filter? I was just reading where someone else has the exact same situation. Maybe do a search to come up with ideas.

:Welcome: to the forum!!!

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Check/replace your relays. You have two in the fuse box right behind your battery. You should have spares regardless... so get some. Then replace them and see if that solves the problem. Not being able to start your engine is a very characteristic symptom of a failed relay. I'm not sure about the engine turning off later though... but I'd start with that since it's simple, easy to do and two birds with one stone by having spares. Also, make sure you reinstall the relays in the same orientation that the old ones came out.