• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Steering issue

Sccala

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hi everyone. So, I have a 2011 242 limited. I bought it four years ago and have had no real issues with it up until now. This past Sunday, I took it out for a few hours, and everything was fine. However, on my way back to the dock. (I do not trailer it, I keep it at a slip) I felt that the right hand turning was not as fully responsive as it should be. It was hard to fully test out, because as we all know, steering at low speeds is not the best way to test something like this out. I need to be at full speed, but I was already in the no wake zone and was done for the day. So, I took it out this morning and opened up the throttle’s. Both throttles were responsive to what I’m asking them to do and tach out properly. However, when turning to the left… Fantastic, tight banking turns. But when I turn to the right with the steering wheel as far to the right as it will go, it does not turn in as tight of a circle as it does when I go to the left. To put it simply… If I did a full circle with a left-hand turn, that circle would be a lot smaller than if I did a full circle with a right hand turn. When I go back to the dock, I opened the hatch behind the steering wheel, and turned the steering wheel in both directions several times while inspecting the steering cables. Nothing seem to be abnormal. everything was tight and in place. This issue happened at some point mid day on Sunday when I had the boat out for a couple hours. Because the entire time I was out, everything was fine up until I was in the final no wake zone on return and noticed that it wasn’t responding very well. Not sure what could’ve happened out of the blue, but wondering if anybody has any thoughts. Thanks in advance.
Steve

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
You'll want to observe the steering cables at the jet nozzles, probably one of them is disconnected or broken. Meaning, one is turning, one is not.

Have a friend or child move the steering wheel back and forth while watching the nozzles.

Sccala

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah, so I did this yesterday. I had the boat in the water by the sandbar that we go to, and I had somebody turn the steering wheel why I observed the nozzles. They both turned as they should when the steering wheel goes to the left. But when the steering wheel goes to the right, only the right nozzle turns. The other one stays put. However, I need to get the boat out of the water to investigate any closer. Maybe some point this week I’ll get somebody to help me at the boat ramp and haul it out (we keep our boat in a slip)

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Yeah, so I did this yesterday. I had the boat in the water by the sandbar that we go to, and I had somebody turn the steering wheel why I observed the nozzles. They both turned as they should when the steering wheel goes to the left. But when the steering wheel goes to the right, only the right nozzle turns. The other one stays put. However, I need to get the boat out of the water to investigate any closer. Maybe some point this week I’ll get somebody to help me at the boat ramp and haul it out (we keep our boat in a slip)
Sounds like your cable could be bound up. I would:
  1. Get the boat out of the water so you can see everything clearly and have a helper turn the wheel.
  2. Disconnect the steering cable on your port steering cable (the one you state doesn't turn right), and verify that the jet nozzle will turn on it's own by hand. You should be able to easily push the nozzle back and forth.
  3. Observe the steering cable being turned from the wheel without the jet being connected. Is it moving in and out freely?
    At that point you'll know if it's a bad cable or something else.
  4. Check behind drivers helm to make nothing is sitting on your steering cables or has bound up the wheel.
  5. Pull up your gas tank cover (middle back portion of floor) and make sure your cables aren't bound up as they lay across that area.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
not sure about your year model boat but on my 07,

the lock nut on the cable that attaches behind the steering wheel came loose, when you turned one direction it would push the cable but when you turned the other the cable remained in the same place,

you can check this while your at the boat slip,

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
part #1 is the locking nut, it should be easy to see when you get behind the helm,

1687806455517.png

Sccala

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Sounds like your cable could be bound up. I would:
  1. Get the boat out of the water so you can see everything clearly and have a helper turn the wheel.
  2. Disconnect the steering cable on your port steering cable (the one you state doesn't turn right), and verify that the jet nozzle will turn on it's own by hand. You should be able to easily push the nozzle back and forth.
  3. Observe the steering cable being turned from the wheel without the jet being connected. Is it moving in and out freely?
    At that point you'll know if it's a bad cable or something else.
  4. Check behind drivers helm to make nothing is sitting on your steering cables or has bound up the wheel.
  5. Pull up your gas tank cover (middle back portion of floor) and make sure your cables aren't bound up as they lay across that area.
I will run this check list. Thanks

Sccala

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
part #1 is the locking nut, it should be easy to see when you get behind the helm,

View attachment 202902
Oh man. I didn’t even think about something like that. I was thinking purely steering cable/nozzle attachment. I wasn’t really thinking of anything behind the helm. I did peep my head back there at one point just to make sure the cables were still attached, and they were. And, they seemed to be operating normally when I turn the wheel with my head behind the helm. But I will try to get down there today or tomorrow and look for that locking nut. Not really sure what to do if it looks loose, but I’m hoping it’s self-explanatory. Thanks for the heads up. I’ll keep everybody in this thread updated as to what I see.