• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Steering Options - Cobra Steering / Thrust Vector - Tried both?

ralphsmithiii

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Afternoon everyone!

With it being the time of year, I see that @JetBoatPilot is running their yearly group buy on their aftermarket steering solution, including the Thrust Vector X and Lateral Thrusters.

On my 2015 AR240, I currently have the Cobra Steering Super Ultimate AK system and I have zero complaints about it. However, being the tinkerer that I am, I'm interested in seeing how the Lateral Thrusters perform. So far there's been nothing but praise for them. I've also seen posts where some people have combined the two systems, although I don't think you can do so with the Super Ultimate AK system (I'm not worried about either warranty).

I feel like I've mastered the steering on my boat so that's not an issue. I'm considering trying out the Thrust/Lateral system for three reasons:

1) It's on sale and if it hit max group buy, well, 35% is pretty nice!
2) To see what the Lateral Thrusters feel like (while docking, of course)
3) If I where to assume they perform as expected then it would make my wife's life (and mine) easier for the rare occasion she's docking/driving the boat.

As I mentioned above, I'm 100% confident in my abilities to operate this boat now, having used it extensively over the past two years. I can manipulate the throttles, etc..etc..

But, if the Lateral Thrusters make it THAT much easier to push the rear towards the docks or provide more "control" then I'm interested in seeing if the juice is worth the squeeze.

Therefor I wanted to ask, has anyone made the change, from Cobra to Thrust/Lateral or vice versus, specifically with the Lateral Thrusters in mind and if so, what are your thoughts/experiences? Was the switch worth it? Did you switch back, etc..etc..

I don't want this thread to turn into a competitive argument about one system or the other..but more so, I'm looking for real world feedback from anyone who's made the switch.

If you prefer to PM/DM me instead, please do!

where is that popcorn eating emoji when it's needed. You lit the fuse with this post. But we need it quarterly, like a good oil thread.

Best advice, neither make junk. You have a good investment in quality equipment already, talk to Jeff to be sure you have it setup the best it can to perform the way it should. (and yes that is coming from a current LT owner that loves them) But I do know neither is junk from owning both.

Good luck.

where is that popcorn eating emoji when it's needed. You lit the fuse with this post. But we need it quarterly, like a good oil thread.

Best advice, neither make junk. You have a good investment in quality equipment already, talk to Jeff to be sure you have it setup the best it can to perform the way it should. (and yes that is coming from a current LT owner that loves them) But I do know neither is junk from owning both.

Good luck.
Appreciate it. I'm local to Jeff and he installed my fins when I started with an older setup then upgraded to the latest and greatest.

You mentioned you love your LT's and have owned both steering systems if I'm understanding your reply. If so, what made you make the switch and it appears you're still using the TV/LT system which isn't a testament to if its better or worse (again I'm assuming) but maybe just different?

If thrust vectors are anything like the 2019+ systems built in by Yamaha I'll say... "meh." Sure, I can swing my 21' boat stern around in reverse - BUT - it's not as responsive as using forward thrust by far. If conditions are perfect, no current, no wind, etc., that system works great. But add in waves or wind or current and it's pretty doggy. Easier to spin the boat using fwd thrust and get out that way.

We had cobrajet on our previous boat. So it's not a fair comparison, as I feel they both have nailed their respective products down. And anyone badmouthing one over the other is just being nitpicky. It did work well though, and it was a solid product. And being fixed, that sucker would sit wedged on a sandbar and keep the boat from swinging it was that strong. (I would not advise that)

Our new boat had TV-X installed, so it was new to me. Again, good quality product and seemed to work just fine. I saw the lateral thrusters and ordered those up, as reverse was still voodoo. The install was so easy, I did it in the driveway at our cabin by flashlight! And it was an amazing transformation in control. Of course, only in reverse. But it was so good, that many will agree that they will back into a dock before driving in if given the choice. I back to boarders, surfers and into slips like a boss. Hell, I have bow anchored and reversed all the way around an anchor to where I wanted to stern anchor with 100% control. But I think there may be a cobra product that will allow this as well.

Over a year ago, I got in on the beta test pre-order of the TV-Wake, as the thought of reducing spray came up and the fins were slightly bigger. So I sold the TV-X and purchased TV-Wake. I sold them quick as I figured there would be an influx of used ones, and got the chance to go finless for a month or so. It made me appreciate both products that much more. But I could adapt to no fins without issue. It's not life or death, but you miss them once you are used to them. But with LT's alone, I was backing into everything!

Once the TV-W were installed, I appreciated the bigger fin and the amount of spray. Our girls tube a lot, and they noticed the difference. It was great for wakeboarding and tubing. Even the surf wave is better shaped and less turbulance, but we are still missing much needed jetwash deflector on the 24' boats. it will come, but i'm losing patience.

if you plan on surfing, then the Gantlin wedge is the real deal, and it works best with the cobra steering. If you are not, then you can go either way.
I hope this helps as I try to be as unbiased as possible and avoid these threads and the arguments they start. Both owners are passionate about their products, and support us well. They should have passion, they have put a ton of time and development into them, and they should be proud.

We put a lot of money into them, and don't want to admit mistakes in our purchases either. But in this case, there are no mistakes, they both perform well. Good luck.

If thrust vectors are anything like the 2019+ systems built in by Yamaha I'll say... "meh." Sure, I can swing my 21' boat stern around in reverse - BUT - it's not as responsive as using forward thrust by far. If conditions are perfect, no current, no wind, etc., that system works great. But add in waves or wind or current and it's pretty doggy. Easier to spin the boat using fwd thrust and get out that way.

Thrust Vectors and Lateral Thrusters are two different technologies. And there is nothing like the LT's from Yamaha. It's something a person has to experience, as smooth or wavy, the LT's allow me to move the stern of that boat anywhere. It's that good.

Hey all, I just came to terms on a new to me 2018 fsh 190 sport that I plan to pick up in the next few weeks. It’s unequipped with any steering enhancements, but I’m nearly certain I’m going to need/want some. As somebody who’s only ever owned inboards and outboards, there will be a learning curve for me on manipulating this new jet drive.

Can you guys confirm that the tv and lt are able to be used concurrently? I gather from context that there’s a debate to be had about the “best” solution to the steering woes, but is there a consensus direction for a new user to take on this front? I’ve outline my primary uses below to help inform that recommendation.

I’m going to be using this boat on the west coast (nw) for a variety of things in both salt and freshwater and probably won’t moor it full time, I’ll most likely be taking it in/out each use and trailering to lakes and rivers. Gonna fish it, crab it, trailer it a lot, probably camp out of it, will definitely partake in some pleasure activities like towing/tubing, but those are not my priorities when it comes to steering upgrades. Primary concerns are docking, slow speed steering, reverse, limited spray.

Thanks in advance, cheers,

Can you guys confirm that the tv and lt are able to be used concurrently?

Thanks in advance, cheers,

Yes, that is how they were designed from the factory, was to be used together. I have both installed on our boat now.

We had cobrajet on our previous boat. So it's not a fair comparison, as I feel they both have nailed their respective products down. And anyone badmouthing one over the other is just being nitpicky. It did work well though, and it was a solid product. And being fixed, that sucker would sit wedged on a sandbar and keep the boat from swinging it was that strong. (I would not advise that)

Our new boat had TV-X installed, so it was new to me. Again, good quality product and seemed to work just fine. I saw the lateral thrusters and ordered those up, as reverse was still voodoo. The install was so easy, I did it in the driveway at our cabin by flashlight! And it was an amazing transformation in control. Of course, only in reverse. But it was so good, that many will agree that they will back into a dock before driving in if given the choice. I back to boarders, surfers and into slips like a boss. Hell, I have bow anchored and reversed all the way around an anchor to where I wanted to stern anchor with 100% control. But I think there may be a cobra product that will allow this as well.

Over a year ago, I got in on the beta test pre-order of the TV-Wake, as the thought of reducing spray came up and the fins were slightly bigger. So I sold the TV-X and purchased TV-Wake. I sold them quick as I figured there would be an influx of used ones, and got the chance to go finless for a month or so. It made me appreciate both products that much more. But I could adapt to no fins without issue. It's not life or death, but you miss them once you are used to them. But with LT's alone, I was backing into everything!

Once the TV-W were installed, I appreciated the bigger fin and the amount of spray. Our girls tube a lot, and they noticed the difference. It was great for wakeboarding and tubing. Even the surf wave is better shaped and less turbulance, but we are still missing much needed jetwash deflector on the 24' boats. it will come, but i'm losing patience.

if you plan on surfing, then the Gantlin wedge is the real deal, and it works best with the cobra steering. If you are not, then you can go either way.
I hope this helps as I try to be as unbiased as possible and avoid these threads and the arguments they start. Both owners are passionate about their products, and support us well. They should have passion, they have put a ton of time and development into them, and they should be proud.

We put a lot of money into them, and don't want to admit mistakes in our purchases either. But in this case, there are no mistakes, they both perform well. Good luck.
Hello did the tv-w help with the spray to the face when tubing. I was just about to order the cobra steering ones but not sure they help with the spray.

Hello did the tv-w help with the spray to the face when tubing. I was just about to order the cobra steering ones but not sure they help with the spray.
yes, it did take down the spray. A longer rope will do more. I don't think TV-Wakes are made anymore, or at least they are not claiming the latest model cuts spray anyomre.

Back