• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Steering Wheel Mod!

That's one of the first things I noticed in my new boat--it has a symmetrical three spoke wheel with no way to know which direction the nozzles are pointing. It drove me crazy! Similar to your velcro strip solution, I just put a little sharpie mark on one wheel spoke so I could tell them apart. Mine is opposite of yours, one spoke points down (instead of up) when the nozzles are straight so that's the one I marked. Your new wheel looks great, but after seeing all you went through to get the old one off, I think I'll just stick with my sharpie mark solution! Thanks for sharing the video.

I noticed the same thing as soon as I got my 2020 195S! Yamaha logo in the center cap of the wheel is symmetrical + the 3 spokes, so no way to tell when we the nozzle is pointing straight back!

Glad I'm not alone, maybe not everyone will call me crazy!
Thanks

Typical boat project you think your going to knock it out in no time and it ends up smacking you in the face. Looks great though!

Typical boat project you think your going to knock it out in no time and it ends up smacking you in the face. Looks great though!
Very true! Thanks Bro.

I don't get this...I've never had an issue knowing where the steering is pointed on any boat except when the engines are off/neutral idling or boat is out of the water. But since it's only 1&1/2 turns lock to lock, it only takes a second to spin the wheel to lock and 3/4 back to confirm center before starting the engines or engaging the fwd/rev throttle. It's not like the wheel moves to a different position. Once running and moving you know if you're going straight or not...I would hope.
?

I don't get this...I've never had an issue knowing where the steering is pointed on any boat except when the engines are off/neutral idling or boat is out of the water. But since it's only 1&1/2 turns lock to lock, it only takes a second to spin the wheel to lock and 3/4 back to confirm center before starting the engines or engaging the fwd/rev throttle. It's not like the wheel moves to a different position. Once running and moving you know if you're going straight or not...I would hope.
?
I agree with you, it's not a major deal. That said, it was the spin of the wheel to lock and 3/4 back to confirm center that I didn't want to constantly do. I'm glad with the final product, but can fully understand why others would find it completely unnecessary. Thanks for watching!

I put a small black zip tie at top center so I can see and feel where it is.

I put a small black zip tie at top center so I can see and feel where it is.
I agree, the feeling it can be helpful while you're keeping an eye out elsewhere, good idea!

Can anyone confirm that replacing a 2010 AR210 steering wheel is as much of a hassle as Capt. Leon's? You would think removing a few screws/bolts that it'd slide off? No?

Doesn't hurt to try, maybe yours will pop off easier. Give it a shot before purchasing a replacement.

I can only speak from car experience that removing the steering wheel is rarely as simple as it would appear... I believed every frame of @Leojay 's video.

+1! lol ?

He needed some real heat, not that BS heat gun LoL.

He needed some real heat, not that BS heat gun LoL.
Didn't want to burn the boat down, although think of the views that video would have gotten..lol.

Didn't want to burn the boat down, although think of the views that video would have gotten..lol.
LMAO, that woulda sucked! I'm looking to replace the wheel on my 2016 212x. I'm wondering if I can take out the 6 hex bolts out, and install the new one right over top. I'm wondering if the hub will work.

Worth trying, that's for sure.

Back