• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Stereo/Perko Wiring

Banditgrrr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length

I purchased a Perko switch (1/2/1&2/off) and I'm also adding an amplifier to my stereo. I'm trying to figure out the wiring as the previous switch was just On/Off. I have a couple questions so I can wire this correctly.

1. Based on this diagram from Perko, where does the positive lead from the starter connect?
2. The way this is wired, would I go to position 1 to start the boat, position 1&2 while driving (to recharge #2) and then position 2 if I'm parked? I'd like the stereo to work in all positions.
3. Any other concerns the way I have this drawn out or is there a better way to do it?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Actually what you will want to do is connect battery one's positive to the one connector and battery two's positive to the two connector. You will them attach all the positive wires the came off your old switch to the third connector and you will attach the positive wire from you block to this as well. With out a voltage control regulator installed if you wire it like you have set up you will likely have battery drainage issues as your charging system will not have enough power to charge two batteries at once. You will be running a 2 battery setup with only one battery working at a time in my scenario so you will have a back up battery but when docked at the beach or something you can switch to battery two to save your starting battery. I hope this makes sense. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will chime in but I was always told with out the voltage regulator switch installed it wasn't a good idea to run both batteries at the same time.

Banditgrrr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply. So if I understand correctly, you're saying it should be wired this way? This means I dedicate #1 to starting, put it in 1&2 position when driving (and it will recharge both) and put it in position 2 when I'm parked at listening to the stereo? I do not have a voltage regulator so want to make sure this is correct.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
#1 to starting, put it in 1&2 position when driving (and it will recharge both)
The wiring in that image is correct. You shouldn't have to touch the ground wire on the starter it should be grounded to something already you will just pull all the wires off that current post on your single switch and place them on the same post on the new one the should all be positive wires. Your recharging system on your boat only has the power to charge one battery so basically what you have with out a voltage regulator switch is a single battery set up with a back up battery. You will not want to run with the batteries in the both setting that is for emergency starting only when your batteries don't have enough power to start the engine if you run in both you will have your batteries draining faster then recharging. With a voltage regulator switch it basically makes both batteries independent and it charges battery one till full then switches to charging battery two so even then it doesn't charge both at the same time. In this set up you will either be using battery one or two everything will be pulling off the same battery at one time. What I used to do when I had this set up was switch which battery I used every couple times out so sometimes I would use battery one and sometimes battery two to keep them both charged. With out a voltage regulator switch there is no good way I know of to use two batteries at the exact same time the system just can't handle it. That all being said I still recommend doing what you have planned as having the second battery really helps to try and eliminate you every being stuck from a drained battery if ones dead use switch to the other if the both are low you switch to both to get the boat started the turn the switch to battery one to get your battery charged while running.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Now I'm doing a little reading and I'm seeing a lot of places saying its ok to run in the both switch to charge both batteries and then when stopped at anchor to switch to your house battery to not drain your charging battery. The second wiring diagram is still correct but I may be wrong about not being able to run with the switch on the both setting.

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Installing-a-Second-Battery

upload_2018-2-3_23-20-1.png

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The only problem I can see with your first diagram is your stereo will only work off your house battery. If the house battery goes dead, you won't be able to switch batteries to continue playing your stereo. Honestly, ideally you have two battery switches so you can fully isolate your starting and house circuits. That way, if you have a short in either system, it won't prevent you from being able to use the other system. You can shut your house feed down without shutting your starting side down as well and vice versa.

Banditgrrr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I appreciate the feedback. I have wired it just like the second drawing. Not quite sure how I'll be able to tell if the batteries are charging other than if they go dead. My goal is to use this way:

1: Use for starting the boat at all times
2: Use when I'm parked and wanting to listen to the stereo
1/2: Use while I'm driving and hoping that it will recharge both batteries

I also have a trickle charger at home. If I put the Perko switch to Off, is it best to connect the common to ground and the positive to battery 1, wait for it to fully charge and then connect to positive battery 2 and allow it to charge? The other option would be to put the switch in 1/2 and connect the charger to ground and the red to either positive terminal and see if both batteries charge at the same time but not sure if this would actually work.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I appreciate the feedback. I have wired it just like the second drawing. Not quite sure how I'll be able to tell if the batteries are charging other than if they go dead. My goal is to use this way:

1: Use for starting the boat at all times
2: Use when I'm parked and wanting to listen to the stereo
1/2: Use while I'm driving and hoping that it will recharge both batteries

I also have a trickle charger at home. If I put the Perko switch to Off, is it best to connect the common to ground and the positive to battery 1, wait for it to fully charge and then connect to positive battery 2 and allow it to charge? The other option would be to put the switch in 1/2 and connect the charger to ground and the red to either positive terminal and see if both batteries charge at the same time but not sure if this would actually work.
I'm not a battery charger expert by any means but I think if you have a single bank charger you will charge each battery by itself if you have a fail bank charger you can charge both at the same time and I think you will want to charge them with the switch in the off position.