• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Struggling to get skiers up... Driver?

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey all.

I am really struggling to find the right way to get skiers out of the water. I mean just regular waterskiiers on 2 skis.

I am coming from a 185HP older stern drive on a 19' boat. The old floor it until they get up does not work because if I do that the Yamaha takes off like a bat outta he77 and no one can hold on. I have tried a couple different methods and seem either too slow or too fast. These are semi experienced skiers who had no trouble on the old boat. Is it me, the driver, or did they forget how to ski?

Any advice, tips, tricks?
2017 212 Ltd S

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey all.

I am really struggling to find the right way to get skiers out of the water. I mean just regular waterskiiers on 2 skis.

I am coming from a 185HP older stern drive on a 19' boat. The old floor it until they get up does not work because if I do that the Yamaha takes off like a bat outta he77 and no one can hold on. I have tried a couple different methods and seem either too slow or too fast. These are semi experienced skiers who had no trouble on the old boat. Is it me, the driver, or did they forget how to ski?

Any advice, tips, tricks?
2017 212 Ltd S
I typically stand up and lean on the front windshield so I can turn and pull them up nice and easy. I have someone watching out front for other boats. once the start to get out of the water I just push the throttles forward slowly to the desired speed. Once they come out of the hole , my hydrophase takes over.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I too came from a 150hp sterndrive where I had to just absolutely nail the throttle to get someone out of the water. Even a single engine Yamaha pulls harder than that......so, a couple of things that are different in the jet.

I let them sit in the water with some tension on the line for a few seconds. Already have the lever in forward, and just touching the detent where the throttle will become active. When they say ready, then a smooth progressive push forward works well.

Use a smooth progressive application of throttle. You don't want to wack the throttle hard and yank the rope out of their hands. Likewise you don't want to get on plane slowly and make them drink 1/2 the lake. You have to be much smoother on the throttles with the jet drive, just smooth progressive push until you're on plane.

Once you're on plane you will most likely have to futz with the throttle constantly to maintain a steady speed. Again, the jet is far more sensitive to this than the sterndrive was.

Finally.....lots of practice and good equipment.

What handle are you using? If it's something from Wal-Mart or BassPro, you can do a LOT better. Here is the rope and handle I use. It's not a ton of cash to get one of these, and the added diameter of the handle along with the better cushion under it has helped quite a few beginners up.

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The others have given the right answer, steady and deliberate application of power.

I would add that a tower mounted mirror is a game changer for skiers. Something big and above your line of sight will let you keep an eye on everything and you’ll probably have better success pulling your skiers. Oh yeah, that and get some gloves.

dietz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Agree with ski mirror. Very helpful
GPS medium acceleration is perfect if you have it.
Manual, I take up slack in forward detent , then on ready signal I full accelerate for around 2 seconds then back off to half throttle, they bounce up, then I slowly apply throttle to desired speed. Very repeatable. If skier is heavier, maybe 4 seconds instead of 2.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I need a new ski... miss it... I'm sure once I get one my wife will enjoy the challenge

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Get some gloves if you don't already have them...they can help your skiers hang on a bit better as you fine tune your throttle technique. Agree with others...a steady application of power usually gets them right up.