• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sucked up a Rock

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Hi everyone,

I like keeping you all updated, so I thought I would write about my last jet boat mistake. I recently sucked up a rock, a decently large rock. It was about 1.75" diameter by 0.5" thick. It slipped right through the grate lengthwise and started to make a horrible sound for about 1 second that sounded like throwing marbles into a blender.

I was traversing a shallow section of the lake and paying attention to my Navionics for depth, as well as the boat itself for it's depth gauge. But, I was going 30mph and for a brief second had glided over a very shallow section of lake that caused me to suck the rock up. I didn't see that section on the map, and the boat was moving too fast to register it on the dash; it wouldn't have mattered anyway. I went back and the water was probably only 15" deep.

As soon I heard it I knew what happened and I emergency stopped, threw it in neutral and turned the engine off. Unsure if I was ok or not I started the boat up and all seemed good. But, with only a little throttle applied the boat began to immediately cavitate and shake violently. Even someone not used to a jet boat would have turned it off. The shaking felt like the entire boat was violently vibrating.

So, out came the scuba mask, flippers and flashlight and under the boat I went. Luckily (I think) there was no damage to anything, just the rock lodged in between two blades of the impeller; much too big to get sucked through. The vibration I was feeling was the impeller that would have normally been in balance now drastically out of balance. The rock itself was full of gouge marks as if hitting it with a knife. Upon closer inspection the blades of the impeller seemed fine. No blunted edges, no nicks, no scrapes, no bending.

The newest addition to my emergency (stuff that goes wrong under the boat) kit is literally a spare tire jack set from a GMC Sierra 1500. The tools in that kit are long, strong, and let me pry at the impeller all the way back from outside the grate. In about 2 tries I had the rock out.

Like I said, I inspected for damage and bending or whatever I could find. There were no other rocks or issues so I came up. I hesitantly turned the boat on and all seemed fine. I slowly feathered the throttle forward fearing the worst and I heard and felt nothing out of the ordinary. I tested speed, 43mph, no issues.

Since then I've had it out for about 9 hours with no issues or loss in performance. No leaking into the hull through the seals, nothing.

The moral of my story, be careful in shallow water. For some reason I thought that since we were moving so fast maybe something off the bottom of the lake in shallow water would get stirred up and I would be at a safe distance away from it before it had time to find its way through my intake grate. I've taken risks before like that in shallow water, this time it happened and I didn't even know I was taking the risk. More experience for you through my screw up.

SPCAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Thanks for the right up.

funbobby

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
That brings up a good question - what all should we have in our emergency "sucked stuff up" kits? Would love to hear from the veterans. @ScarabMike etc...

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow, that's impressive that you could get it out of the impeller while in the water. Rocks can be tough and often require pulling the pump. Glad that you recovered with no ill effects.

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Wow, that's impressive that you could get it out of the impeller while in the water. Rocks can be tough and often require pulling the pump. Glad that you recovered with no ill effects.
Thanks, I'm used to it. We don't take the boat out of the water that much so I'm geared up to go underneath of it if anything happens. I was lucky that nothing got pulled through, but only because of the size of the rock itself. If smaller rocks had been sucked up also I would have been done that day.

Scarabtech

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That's really lucky. You should definitely give a little extra at church :)

Scarabtech

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ski ropes can be quite expensive. Epically if you don't catch it and the rope pulls tight, they have a tendency to bend the shafts guard. And if that happens don't let someone tell you that you can get it off by starting the engine and shifting it into reverse. This actually happened to a customer

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
upload_2016-7-25_23-21-57.png

Im impressed you got it cleared in the water. Im not sure how big your intake grate is, but just be very careful not to get a hand stuck in the grate under water.... We have a length of hose in our boat that I placed in there with the thought of that being used as a snorkel if I ever needed it. But once while under the boat in the driveway my hand got wedged in the grate, that made me re-think ever trying that hose snorkel trick in real life.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
View attachment 42401

Im impressed you got it cleared in the water. Im not sure how big your intake grate is, but just be very careful not to get a hand stuck in the grate under water.... We have a length of hose in our boat that I placed in there with the thought of that being used as a snorkel if I ever needed it. But once while under the boat in the driveway my hand got wedged in the grate, that made me re-think ever trying that hose snorkel trick in real life.
I had a similar realization many years ago when I was by myself under the boat trying to pull a rope out. "Humm.....what happens if I get stuck down here"

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
View attachment 42401

Thanks for the tip. I always use pry bars or long cutting or grabbing tools. I gave this tip to the gf about her bracelet or watches because he little hands can get through the grate. That's the last thing anyone needs.

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I had a similar realization many years ago when I was by myself under the boat trying to pull a rope out. "Humm.....what happens if I get stuck down here"
I know, also trying to go under the boat in water that's a little too shallow and the boat catches a rouge wave or something...crushed.

AmyB

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I sucked up a rock last week. It is stuck in the impeller. I can't get the grate off the bottom of the boat to get to it. It seems like the 2 back bolts came lose, but wouldn't come out, almost like an indefinite thread. The other bolt won't even tighten back up. Could these have been glued in by the previous owner? Does anyone have any idea how to get the grate off or get the rock out?

Attachments

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@AmyB, I am unfamiliar with the grate bolts but noticed that the edges of your impeller look pretty rough. You should consider having the impeller refinished or replaced.

Certainly you need to remove and reinstall the grate bolts to make sure it is correctly secured but would it have been easier to pull the pump?

On a Yamaha I would start with pulling the pump as it can be removed and reinstalled by removing seven bolts and in perhaps 20 minutes. How difficult is this process on a BRP powered boat?

AmyB

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
@AmyB, I am unfamiliar with the grate bolts but noticed that the edges of your impeller look pretty rough. You should consider having the impeller refinished or replaced.

Certainly you need to remove and reinstall the grate bolts to make sure it is correctly secured but would it have been easier to pull the pump?

On a Yamaha I would start with pulling the pump as it can be removed and reinstalled by removing seven bolts and in perhaps 20 minutes. How difficult is this process on a BRP powered boat?

Thanks. Any instructions on pulling the pump out? Or videos online?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks. Any instructions on pulling the pump out? Or videos online?
I am guessing that this video is similar to what you have

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I sucked up a rock last week. It is stuck in the impeller. I can't get the grate off the bottom of the boat to get to it. It seems like the 2 back bolts came lose, but wouldn't come out, almost like an indefinite thread. The other bolt won't even tighten back up. Could these have been glued in by the previous owner? Does anyone have any idea how to get the grate off or get the rock out?
I'm afraid the bolt nuts are actually on the inside of the hull, tucked under the engine. There is a way to get to those, but it is not trivial from what I recall. I could be wrong!
@ScarabMike
@JetTech72
@Scarabtech

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@AmyB As you already know from the other thread, some will recommend pulling the pump and leaving the grate alone. I would do that anyway, if only to assess the potential impeller/wear ring damage. Shouldn't be a big deal, it is usually easier than it seems!
You will still need to tighten those intake grate bolts to prevent water intrusion.

--