• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sucked up.... a tarp.

RiverRatSx210

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Craziest thing happened over memorial weekend.

Cruising around Lake entiat on the Columbia river on Saturday it sounded like I sucked up a rope (I’ve had it happen once before) I quickly shut of the motor. I should have pulled the plunger... but instead I fired it back up individually to listen for a sec. every thing sounded fine so off we went and continued tubing the kids around. Boat ran great all weekend, had zero problems.

When we pulled boat out on Monday after playing around for a couple hours I pulled the plungers because water had built up above the plunger. And to my surprise- Port side shaft at a effing tarp wrapped around it. It was more of a strip of tarp about 2ft long that must have been floating in the water. I was able to remove it in a matter of minutes but have not put boat back in water yet, taking it out tomorrow so hopefully my seal on the shaft isn’t ruined.

Looking back I noticed my port side engine was 100rpm off compared to my starboard engine and WOT 8400-8500.

I didn’t really notice a lack in power though and top speed. I had 4 adults and 3 kids on the boat and my center locker half full of ice and beer and we were hitting 42MPH with the Bimini up felt normal.

I should have taken a picture but my phone wasn’t on me and I was in a rush to get it pulled and truck loaded with all our camping gear.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
glad to have you on board, our boats are amazing,

it's amazing the "magic bullet" it takes to create a problem, you can have a tarp wrapped around your shaft, my impellers look terrible but neither cause enough issue to notice a problem,

others, a single piece of fishing line or ding or roughness of an impeller causes problems ????

Be sure to check out our FAQ tab at the top of the page for lots of great tips and DIY's

RiverRatSx210

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks!

Yeah I checked shaft for play, felt normal and my impellers still look great so I’m pretty sure every thing is fine, guess I should consider my self to be lucky it didn’t cause a huge problem.

seadude

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Nine years ago while taking my FIRST trip on my brand NEW "jet" boat, I sucked up a trash bag and was dead in the water. I couldn't believe it and the wife was looking at me like WTF kind of boat did you get us into here?
Lots of jet boating later, only sucked up one rope (her fault) and plenty of seaweed, never again anything like that which disabled the boat - go figure!

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was out on lake Norman in NC yesterday and there was a ton of crap floating around from all the rain causing high water.

RiverRatSx210

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Columbia has quite a bit of crap floating down between dam’s due to high levels from ice melt early in the season. Numerous tree’s logs and debris floating all over. It normally gets better later in the season. Still my favorite spot to go boating.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome to the site. I'm in Wenatchee, nice to see some new forum members in the area!

RiverRatSx210

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Awesome! Thanks.

I’ve been boating at entiat my entire life, 31 years old- my parents actually met at the entiat campground. Now my kids get grow up spending summers out there. Last year we stayed at orondo almost every other weekend. It’s a shame that camp ground has shut down this season. Entiat Park isn’t what it used to be, although I do really like the new bathrooms and boat launch.. but the park just isn’t the same, so many memories year after year at that park.