• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Suggestions for driving through a ditch

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Our house is built up on a mound, see pic, and we will be parking our boat next to it. There is swale that goes across the front of the property and under the driveway. This area holds water and gets muddy, about 5' wide. I was looking at putting something in there that still allows water to flow through and I can drive over without getting muddy. About a 5X12 area. I was thinking about gravel but I do not want to run over a piece with the lawnmower and have it hit the boat. Or am I babying the new boat to much and I should just drive it right through. Any thoughts?
20170225_181752.jpg
Only picture I have will be coming through that small ditch by the road.
20170607_205638.png
You can see how the house is built up.
These are the only pictures I have on my phone. Can take a picture if anyone needs to see a better shot of the ditch and where the boat will be.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
1. You CANNOT baby a brand new boat too much!

The pics dont really give much of an idea about the depth and width of the ditch, but I would not just back thru it. Just filling the crossing area with gravel wont work because you have now blocked the ability of the ditch to drain. You might consider installing a small culvert pipe, wide enough to back your trailer over, fill it in with gravel, then cover with dirt. Depending on the depth/width, 2 small culvert pipes may be needed. Hard to say without more info/pics. Good luck!

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Appreciate the response. I will take a photo tomorrow of the entire area from the road.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
And when we say "you" we're actually referring to the kiddo:thumbsup:.

I agree with @captras = you don't want to block the drainage and you sure don't want to hurt/dirty the new baby.
Not to mention driving the heavy boat through that could really mess up your yard.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Grid maybe for the top fill, but he needs the ditch to still drain. Don't block the ditch without understanding what it will do to your drainage. Culvert would be good. might need a cheap permit from city/county if it's road adjacent.

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would definitely need to pull a permit for a culvert pipe. Everything stays nice and dry after crossing the small swale. I'm not worried about the grass as the boat and trailer would not be on the nice floratam grass that surrounds the house. I have a field next to my house. The muddy area i would have to cross is only about 3-4 feet by about 8" deep. I was thinking about welding some metal square tube together about 4'x10' reinforced to throw down when it gets muddy. If my wife doesn't decide to move to a gulf access canal home in the next 5 years, ill pull a permit add culverts and pour the concrete myself with a simple broom finish.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
My house i am unincorporated and just had to have county highway come out and tell me minimum size of culvert.
The grid i posted was something my landscaper showed me for a wet area i want a small patio.

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
20170608_115548.jpg
You can see the small area of water I was talking about. Once I get past that it is high and dry.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
View attachment 57320
You can see the small area of water I was talking about. Once I get past that it is high and dry.
I vote the beautiful new boat goes on the driveway....
and you let those trucks get a little mud on them:thumbsup:

brockhals

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Keep in mind that as you drive thru here, both in dry and muddy conditions, you will create a rut that will start to hold water and look bad. I'd maybe put pavers or something in there to fill the hole, but not sure water would move around them very well. It looks like a small area so bring in a load of dirt/sand and replant some grass.

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Problem solved. I can come in from the back side where there's no mud. I was thinking concrete or pavers but we would have to be staying in this house for some time and not moving. I'm a project manager for a paver company so it's something I could look into in the future. Would love to park it in the driveway but city code prevents that.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Would love to park it in the driveway but city code prevents that.
My HOA is the same way.
Took out the President of the home owners association on the boat, bought him a few drinks = Problem Solved :winkingthumbsup"

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Could you just back it up the driveway then cut it down into the field area? I agree that some pavers would be an easy solution to the future ruts that will be created.

Evildwarf

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
just close your eyes and gun it....

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well I've been debating if I want to go the cheap way (possibly selling the house within 5 years) and adding landscape timber 15x75 feet, and putting landscape fabric down and adding gravel from the road back to where the boat will be parked. I manage a paver and concrete company so i have a bobcat and compactor to use. Pressure treated timber would cost me $100, fabric $50 and I can get 15 tons of gravel delivered for $200. So this option may be the way to go.